I just received another Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0 in the mail this weekend (used), and I'm running into a problem with the motor. Under DCC it appears to short the track and the controller resets the power until I turn off the throttle. Since I already have one of these same locos, it gives me some ability to swap things around. So far I have:
- Connected the new tender to the old loco -- works fine so the problem is not in the tender.
- Connected the old tender to the new loco -- shorts the track again, so the problem must be inside the new loco.
- Disconnected the tender and used a couple wires to apply DC power directly to the motor pins -- runs without hesitation, however the motor speed is slower on the new loco than what I observe in the same conditions on the old loco
- Used a multimeter to check for shorts between all the pins -- none were found
- Measured resistance across the motors -- Old motor is about 58ohms, the new motor is only 7 ohms.