Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite the fit of the nickel Mikado but it will do until something better comes along.

Curious thing about the quarter switcher. Runs fine in reverse, balky in forward. Gears or brushes I would think. Been cleaned and lubed many times.

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,521 Posts
Only a quarter? :D
You know what I would say, ha ha ha.

Now, have you ever found a quarter? Then you could say it didn't cost you a dime.......or a nickle..:p:thumbsup:

This seems to be the start of an addiction? :smokin:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Murphy's law

Not quite the fit of the nickel Mikado but it will do until something better comes along.

Curious thing about the quarter switcher. Runs fine in reverse, balky in forward. Gears or brushes I would think. Been cleaned and lubed many times.
A model railroad corollary to Murphy's law states that, "All model steam locomotives, except for cab-forwards, will run better in reverse than they do going forward!" :laugh: Seriously, I have seen many model steamers that do.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turn it around... :)

The quarter is one of the later State/significant event series of quarters. The obverse is Harpers Ferry.

Looked at about every quarter I could find in the house looking for my home state of NH or my present state of WV to no luck.

Drilled old George right in the ear this time. I should have done it lower to pick up the best light from the screw in type bulb but light does get through.

Perhaps it doesn't run right in forward because maybe the gears slipped a tooth. I know that creates problems in the Rivarossi articulated's when things get out of sync.

Buying back all the trains I sold many years ago, but I still pick up a lot of $5 - $20 "In need of repairs". I just like returning them to service.

The little 4-4-0 V&T is one I haven't seen before. Made in Macao it is cheap, cheap, cheap. The AHM yellow and blue S-Fe switcher is a replacement for my first model train, came in a set and given away many years ago.

The Southern Crescent is perfect visually and looks never ran but was sold as not running. We shall see. It's also a replacement engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A model railroad corollary to Murphy's law states that, "All model steam locomotives, except for cab-forwards, will run better in reverse than they do going forward!" :laugh: Seriously, I have seen many model steamers that do.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:
:) :)

It's a wonder that anything runs on my track. Nothing is nailed down and it's resting on a hard surface comprised of sectional track.

I have N/S flex track and cork roadbed ready to be laid but I'm having to much fun running these old engines to install it.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It's a wonder that anything runs on my track. Nothing is nailed down and it's resting on a hard surface comprised of sectional track.
When I was a kid I would take my Tyco trains over to grandma&grandpa's and set everything up on the carpet. It wasn't even a smooth-surface carpet. :( Yet somehow it always ran fine for the weekend. Years later I was still running those same locos when I set everything up on a 4x8. It's a wonder they were still running, but I was very patient with taking the motors apart and pulling out the carpet fibers wrapped around the axles and gears.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was a kid I would take my Tyco trains over to grandma&grandpa's and set everything up on the carpet. It wasn't even a smooth-surface carpet. :( Yet somehow it always ran fine for the weekend. Years later I was still running those same locos when I set everything up on a 4x8. It's a wonder they were still running, but I was very patient with taking the motors apart and pulling out the carpet fibers wrapped around the axles and gears.
I just did that a couple of months ago as an 82 year old "kid" when I first discovered a long put-away box of trains. Laid it out on the carpet.

Didn't take me long to build (or start to build) a layout.

I did recently buy a 4-4-0 with a lot of carpet wrapped around the gears and trucks. Took tweezers and time to remove all of it.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts