Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used MRC Tech IV 260 power pack. I put a meter on it and the voltages were perfect. I cleaned the face of the controller with alcohol and let it dry for 24 hours. Now . . . . dead. Will not power up. The screws that hold the controller together seem to be proprietary / similar to a rivet so I haven't been able to open the box. Do I have to drill them out ? Is there an internal fuse ? Are these boxes repairable or did I somehow kill it ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
The manufacturer will repair it but since it was purchased secondhand there will be a fee involved. Call them...very easy to work with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke with MRC, I'm just out of luck . . . . Not impressed with this company. Not . . . at . . . all. Any other NON-MRC suggestions for a power pack for a single-loop track ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
If there are any used train shops in your area you should stop by and ask. The closest one to me has a box of old transformers. You can even ask them to make test them before you buy.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Its likely cov19 has effected their repair ability, so don't be too hard on them. Did you unplug it! It may have an internal thermal fuse. Harbor Freight sells a nice set of "security" type end attachments, one should fit the screws. Recheck the units switches again to make sure there set right and turn momentum off.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Spoke with MRC, I'm just out of luck . . . . Not impressed with this company. Not . . . at . . . all. Any other NON-MRC suggestions for a power pack for a single-loop track ?
I certainly wouldn't base my evaluation of a company's products on the fact that they don't want to repair a unit that's no longer in production production that was purchased second hand and has been subject to who knows what...

My recommendation for a DC powerpack would be "Anything by MRC". If you're not going to use MRC for your DC, then you've already excluded the top of the line from your search. Don't allow your temper to push you into a bad decision.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not sure why you’d exclude them based off one interaction.

Always had MRC power supplies and they’re built solidly. From the old silver & bronze units, to Tech II, to the AH601 that phone support walked me through fixing over the phone (I bought this used 2nd hand).

I’ve had others that just don’t have the circuit protection that MRC has.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there are any used train shops in your area you should stop by and ask. The closest one to me has a box of old transformers. You can even ask them to make test them before you buy.
I have a few of the type that come with basic starter sets; which is all our local shop has. . . plus their prices are astronomical. . .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its likely cov19 has effected their repair ability, so don't be too hard on them. Did you unplug it! It may have an internal thermal fuse. Harbor Freight sells a nice set of "security" type end attachments, one should fit the screws. Recheck the units switches again to make sure there set right and turn momentum off.
No, MRC told me that they didn't support the 260 anymore; won't even accept one for repair.

Tried the switches to no avail. . .

We have a Harbor Freight just down the street but what's a "security" type end attachment ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I certainly wouldn't base my evaluation of a company's products on the fact that they don't want to repair a unit that's no longer in production production that was purchased second hand and has been subject to who knows what...

My recommendation for a DC powerpack would be "Anything by MRC". If you're not going to use MRC for your DC, then you've already excluded the top of the line from your search. Don't allow your temper to push you into a bad decision.
Service = business. . . no service = no business. Bachmann just serviced a locomotive for me that was almost 30 years old. That shows that they want my business. . . . .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So . . . since MRC isn't going to even lift a finger to help me out, does anyone know if the fasteners that hold the unit together are screws or rivets ? I've tried different allen wrenches to no avail.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Again, it’s a used transformer.....it’s out of production......try that with old used cars; no warranty, no factory made parts anymore, they won’t help you either, and I don’t blame them..... o_O

And you probably got alcohol spilled inside it when cleaning, thru a switch or something.....and that’s definitely not their fault.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, it’s a used transformer.....it’s out of production......try that with old used cars; no warranty, no factory made parts anymore, they won’t help you either, and I don’t blame them..... o_O
Plenty of out-of-production stuff gets factory service every day. I've taken old cars into a dealership. They've looked at the problem and told me they couldn't fix it but referred me to someone that could. They made an effort. MRC could have said for a fee, I could send it to them and they'd take a look at it; if they had the parts, they'd fix it and if they didn't they'd send it back to me. They'd still make money off of a service charge. If you pay me to just take a look at something, I'll take a look at it any day.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Yeah, whatever. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
. Don't allow your temper to push you into a bad decision.
I need to apologize to the forum and specifically to CTVValleyRR. CT was right: I let my temper get the best of me and that was wrong and uncalled for. Totally my fault and I'm sorry for my rants.

Update on the power pack: I did buy a new-in-box MRC Tech IV 260 power pack and it's probably the best train-related item I've ever purchased. I'd been making do with a little 'toy' power pack from an old AHM set and the results were as expected. The 260 is just . . . smooth. MUCH more fun now !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts