Model Train Forum banner
221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Left to right...N scale MiniTrix 0-6-0 switcher, Atlas/Rivarossi 0-4-0 switcher, Botchmann 4-8-4 Northern, Atlas/Rivarossi 0-8-0 switcher. Every one of them is from forty to fifty years old, something MTH won't likely be able to speak of...
Train Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Engineering

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
My HO 0-8-0 IHB switcher...I just installed a Kadee #5 to replace the quick fix McHenry knuckle installed by a previous owner that sagged too much. Delightfully chunky, I had forgotten what a sweet runner it was...
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Locomotive

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Little bit late but this is today’s project. Came in on a Saturday to prepare this brand new rail king rk330 for delivery to a customer. They’re small compared to a true locomotive but they’re an awful tight fit getting into the shop. This unit is powered by a 6.7 liter Cummins turbo diesel with a funk transmission and a pair of John Deere 1400 series axles. It’s definitely a nice machine and will hopefully be on the rails with this customer till the lease is up
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It obviously has rail wheels and road wheels. The rail wheels are the driven axles like on a car or truck and the road wheels are hydraulically lowered and raise the machine up. On the non steering set of road wheels (shown on front of machine) the road wheel makes contact on a wheel gear I guess is what you would call it (on the rail axle) causing the machine to drive on the road. They’re a somewhat complicated machine but a machine that small can pull 8 loaded hopper cars up a grade and around a curve. Not certain on exactly what the tractive effort numbers are but they sure can pull a lot for what they are

·
Registered
436 Posts
It obviously has rail wheels and road wheels. The rail wheels are the driven axles like on a car or truck and the road wheels are hydraulically lowered and raise the machine up. On the non steering set of road wheels (shown on front of machine) the road wheel makes contact on a wheel gear I guess is what you would call it (on the rail axle) causing the machine to drive on the road. They’re a somewhat complicated machine but a machine that small can pull 8 loaded hopper cars up a grade and around a curve. Not certain on exactly what the tractive effort numbers are but they sure can pull a lot for what they are
That is an interesting design. I would have guessed it was just the opposite from looking at the photo. I see the cutout in the frame and thought the rail wheel was the one raised or lowered and assumed that it was driven by the gear touching the road wheel. Obviously, I was just guessing from the photo and it must be how you said if it can pull that much.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
That RK 330 is sooo cool it sent me out get more information. Here's a just one Front End shot, of the many available, to give additional perspective.

View attachment 569252
That’s actually a picture of the rear of it believe it or not. They are a “cab forward” design like the shuttle wagon I posted a couple weeks ago. If you look into the way those machines work you would be amazed of how much they’ll pull. Word through the grape vine is the 330s aren’t going to be the top dog in the rail king world for long. I hear they’re coming out with a bigger version that can pull substantially more. The issue I hear with the new bigger version is there was an issue with the rail wheels cracking from the stress they’re being put under at a full load

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Little bit late but this is today’s project. Came in on a Saturday to prepare this brand new rail king rk330 for delivery to a customer. They’re small compared to a true locomotive but they’re an awful tight fit getting into the shop. This unit is powered by a 6.7 liter Cummins turbo diesel with a funk transmission and a pair of John Deere 1400 series axles. It’s definitely a nice machine and will hopefully be on the rails with this customer till the lease is up
So did Mike Wolf sell the rights to the name?

221 - 240 of 272 Posts