Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this morning I installed the last brc on my proto 1 subway set. I tested it out using a z1000 and touching the leads to the appropriate spots. All went well. So next i checked my other subway to see if I had already installed the brc and it was there. So I proceed to test it in the same manner. The first time i got the sounds and bell and whistle, lights. The second time i tried it the breaker popped from the z1000. After re-setting the breaker all i would get are the lights but no sound or movement. Did I fry the board or what might be wrong. I tried the reset procedures that i googled online and to no avail. What are my options if i did fry the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As for the run time of the engine I'm going to say 3 hours on it but it is much less than that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, thank you for the quick reply. So what are my options. What is the most cost effective thing to do to get this running again. Do i get it repaired or do i upgrade to ps3? Also should i be expecting the same thing from the ps2's with the smaller battery. I guess those are the 3 volt systems. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone else wants to add something please feel free to do so.

·
Admin
44,197 Posts
PS/2 boards of any flavor are no longer available, so the option to repair it is the PS32 board. This is a special PS/3 board with a stacker board that converts the inputs/outputs to PS/2 format. It's mostly a drop-in replacement for the PS/2 boards, and saves the expense of rewiring everything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Morning John

When you say drop in do you mean no soldering required? just remove old board and plug in the new board and re-install. How much does this replacement run with labor? Can this be done by the average person. Thanks again for the help. Hope you can answer my questions. Have a good Sunday.

·
Admin
44,197 Posts
Well, you need to have a DCS system to load the proper sound and chain files, so that's a requirement. The board sells for $230 and the speaker is another $10-12. Labour is typically around $75 for the swap. The sticking point is we can't get the boards right now, MTH has been out of stock for months for the 5V replacements.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply John. Lets say that they don't have these boards anymore. Do you think it is possible to just have the train run with lights on only like the old conventional engine? Like remove the board entirely and just run it like a regular engine with lights on and off only.

·
Admin
44,197 Posts
You'd have to put at least enough components to supply the lights and the rectify track power for the motors. If you want directional operation, you'll also need a conventional reverse board. I'm fairly sure at some point we'll be able to get at least one more shipment of the PS32 boards, when that might happen is the question mark.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you let me know when these boards come in. Hopefully i can get this operating sometime in the future, thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts