Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to find this information out on another forum. I got an answer that wasn't to clear as the person said it should have. What i would like to know is if the dash 8 protosound 3 engine on this set has flashing ditch lights. I searched on the mth website and it doesn't say. I know that the previous proto 3 set from 2015 had them as they were listed in the description. I was hoping that maybe someone here knows if they have the set or know of someone that has the set. All replies would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I looked through the engine manuals and other literature related to the set and there is nothing to definitely say the engine has working ditch lights. I looked at a couple premier engines in the same year catalog that have ditch lights and the “features” lists them separately as “working” ditchlights while the Imperial features list doesn’t.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that there are no working ditchlights. Just not clear like you stated.

I am not very familiar with the Imperial line but I am sure there is someone here that can answer for sure...

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that's the case that there are no ditch lights that means that mth gives you the dcc explorer and the matching caboose in exchange for them removing the smoke unit and the ditch lights. I really don't care for the smoke unit in a diesel but i did want the ditch lights. The previous set in 2015 that had the remote commander had both smoke and ditch lights. I guess i'm out of 500 bucks. I really don't care for that wifi junk. I like using my brick with a controller instead. I guess it's live and learn. Thanks for the reply. I will unwrap the engine tonight and check. Hopefully i am wrong.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yeah, you never know. The ditch lights might be integrated with the headlights and have limited function. I only have a couple engines with working ditch lights and they are both Premier.

I am curious how this turns out. Let us know what you have.

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest the set previous to this version was a railking rtr set also and it had ditch lights and smoke. I purchased an amtrak one year because my subway set didn't arrive at the time and it was also a railking rtr set and it has both the ditch lights and the smoke. I turned the smoke off because it's a diesel. I only like smoke in the steam engines. I truly believe that mth felt that since they were giving the dcs explorer in the set that they might have decided to eliminate the ditch lights. I will find out either tonight or on the weekend and let you know. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i unwrapped the engine and no ditch lights. They have the little cylinders where the ditch lights would be but no bulbs or wires. I was wondering if mth might have put a harness with a plug inside the engine. If not i will just leave it alone and see if i can find another bnsf engine with the ditch lights. As for testing the engine and the dcc explorer hopefully this weekend. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I am sure you can wire it up for the ditch light LEDs. There are numerous harnesses available. You could probably start with a replacement ditch light harness/LEDs for a premier locomotive.

Not sure if the software/control board would support the addition though...

Tom

·
Admin
44,233 Posts
I've added ditch lights to a few locomotives for customers. Since there is another PS/3 version with the ditch lights, the worst case scenario will be to load that sound and chain file set to restore the function. However, it's actually pretty likely that your sound file has the function enabled. Even many PS/2 sound files had ditch lights enabled when the locomotive didn't have them.

The biggest issue will be the factory wiring harness. If they didn't include the connectors for the ditch lights in the processor board harness, you'll have to procure some of those tiny 1mm connector pins and try to add it. You might also look for someone that has extra wiring from PS/3 diesels, because those tiny connector contacts are a giant PITA to crimp properly. I save any left over wires from installations so I have a supply of pre-crimped wires for stuff like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts