Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a MTH 4-4-0 from a dealer who gave me a big break on the price as the engine would not set up or run. After some disassembly of the tender, I tracked down the issue to a short in the rear tender center rail pick up. Not quite a dead short, but enough to keep the engine from setting up. I removed the offending roller and the engine set up and runs nicely now. I am not sure what the issue is just yet. The wiring from the roller to the harness seems correct.

I need to install a BRC2 and it will be good to go…

The engine also had a broken valve gear rod. A very delicate detail, that of course, MTH parts doesn’t list. I was able to drill out the old connecting point and epoxy it back together. It isn’t a high stress situation, so it should hold up.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

I really like these newer 4-4-0s. The high stepping drivers and the chunky boiler look just right to me.
I will likely reletter the tender and cab into something a bit more exotic than the current NYCL lettering. Maybe Erie or Buffalo and Susquehanna…

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling

Tom

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Not an easy engine to find, unfortunately.

Looks like its PS2 3v. Good catch. The valve rod is likely brass so a piece of brass wire may work.

Pete
Pete, yes a PS2/3v engine.

The Engineer’s side valve rod broke off at the connection by the swing hanger. It was all still there, so the work was simply re-attaching the rod to the link…

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NIce find on the problem.🔎 It's those little things that can drive a sane man crazy. (y)
Thanks T-Man. It took a couple hours to figure it. My OCD kicked in….lol

I was also researching as to what prototype the MTH model was designed after…no luck yet.

Tom

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice find TOM!!! Now get those Woodside passenger cars and you got it going on!!! TRAIN ON!!!!
I am looking at the kits that Pete told me about. I also have a couple woodside cars on the way. I have a baggage car kit I am working on now.

It is a nice looking engine. I tried searching about with no luck.
Thanks T-Man. I am sure there is a true prototype they worked from. Just curious as to what road it is from…

Tom

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What is the product number Tom? When I searched the cab number at MTH I came up with 20-3154-1, but that apparently is based on a Pennsy D6 with a Belpaire boiler.
here is the number…. 20-3154-1…it comes up on the MTH Website as a NYC 4-4-0

The page shows the NYC engine with a Belpair boiler and the support manual is for the PRR engine. Even the overview describes the PRR engine. Go figure. I wonder how MTH screwed up on that?

This is the one I have…with the radial stay boiler…different tender…

Train Wheel Rolling stock Mode of transport Rolling

This is the one they show on the site…with a Belpair boiler…and slightly different steam dome placement…smaller drivers…

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Mode of transport

To deepen the mystery, here is a MTH Long Island 4-4-0 with the Belpair boiler and the same steam dome/sand dome arrangement as my NYC 4-4-0. Its is almost like MTH just left the Belpair boiler “shoulders” off the NYC engine…

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Railway

Tom

· Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a follow up, the MTH 4-4-0 is, or seems to be, a replica of the Mississippi Central 98, which later became Strasburg Railroad 98. It was built in 1909 by Alco and worked the MC for 35 years.

Train Wheel Rolling stock Track Steam engine

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Wheel Steam engine

I am still researching the locomotive type to see if this type was built for any other railroads by Alco.

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts