Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in reference to a MTH HO BI-Polar engine Model 80-2143-1 I hope I'm writing this on the correct Forum, if not please feel free to direct me to the correct one. My problem is with a new just out of the box engine that the Paragraphs will not go up and down. I've removed them from the top of the engine and can see down in the holes that the mechanism is not moving back and forth like it should. I've checked the proper switches and they are in the correct position. The question is does anyone know how to remove the shells on one of these engines. It seems to operate correctly other than the Paragraph problem. Thanks Bill

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
They are called 'pantographs'. And they ride under 'catenary' wire.

Someone should be along to help you get the shell off.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
That's probably a great example of autocorrect gone amuck.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
As long as you're absolutely certain the pans aren't locked down, (you said you checked) be advised. that this is somewhat of a common issue.
I would contact MTH. They've undoubtedly had experience communicating fixes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are called 'pantographs'. And they ride under 'catenary' wire.

Someone should be along to help you get the shell off.
I figured out how to remove the shell. I know what they re called I'm flat embarrassed & That should teach me to not use spellchecker so much and to use my glasses when I type I did not read it close enough to catch the wrong word, I'm 81 and walked up to the GG1 that ran thru Union Station my Step Dad worked for 20th Century Fox news in Washington where we lived back then & he used his press pass to get me and my brother into Union Station while it was still sticking thru the main concourse into the floor below. (Just a little human interest story)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as you're absolutely certain the pans aren't locked down, (you said you checked) be advised. that this is somewhat of a common issue.
I would contact MTH. They've undoubtedly had experience communicating fixes.
I spoke to a tech at MTH and he did not have a clue so I just kept messing with it until I found all the screws holding the shell on.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I meant no embarrassment and frankly there aren't a whole lot of electric locomotives used in the States, and even fewer people that model them. I figured it was just a mistake, but I would rather be corrected rather than keep using the wrong term.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts