Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its online now on the MTH web site.

A lot of neat stuff but nothing that really said order me now.

The scale military equipment are very cool.

Bill

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I like the Washington Terminal RS1. I got as far as the Amtrak Turbo Train, in the catalog, but it will not load any more pages...

just loaded up. I like the PRR P5a Boxcab. I have one already but the body Shell seems to have zinc rot issues...

Tom

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Lots of diesels in obscure roadnames but still no Arcade and Attica 44 tonners. I spoke to MTH both at York and Springfield about them. Maybe next catalog.
Tom, my South Buffalo RS1 is a repainted Washington Terminal by Atlas.
Pete

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I saw a couple of GP-7s that I may just have to get. One is Railking LVRR and one is Premier B&O. And I like the PS1 boxcar so I will be joining the club again this year.

Interesting how many presidential campaign cars there are this year. I don’t think I have ever seen so many.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo train and Aero train make another appearance. The Big Boys must be in continuous production, once again they are available. This must be the 4th run of the 44 tonners, I may have to give serious consideration to the Northern Pacific version. The DCS hand controller is still being cataloged. If you are a Canadian Pacific fan, this could be an expensive catalog for ya.

Bill

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Lots of diesels in obscure roadnames but still no Arcade and Attica 44 tonners. I spoke to MTH both at York and Springfield about them. Maybe next catalog.
Tom, my South Buffalo RS1 is a repainted Washington Terminal by Atlas.
Pete
I wouldn’t mind one painted forAmtrak. Either the black or red silver and blue scheme...

Tom

·
Registered
494 Posts
Finally. All I can say about ordering versus not ordering is that if we as an O Scale community, which extends far beyond this forum as we know, do not order and purchase new products from the dealers and the 3-4 manufacturers we won't be able to in a few years.

My last order with MTH was substantial and nothing has come in. I believe it's around $2900 and I have $1500 on account at the local hobby store. For this one, in my road names, there is not much. So it would be easy for me to pass on items.

But instead of focusing on the more expensive locomotives, I am going rolling stock heavy on this one. Collecting Rock Island, CB & Q, Milwaukee Road, and U.P., there is only one locomotive I will likely get. One of these days, I'll buy a modern U.P. locomotive with a flag on it, like an ES44AC. They have an Imperial Rail King on page 51 for $370. I'll probably get that over a Premier at $520.

There seem to be a lot of switchers. I have no interest in switchers, even in my road names. If I need to switch, I'll use GP's. I'll get the alternate paint scheme GP7 from Rock Island on order from page 35. Those 2 - the U.P. and R.I. will be my only locomotive purchases from this catalog. I have the recent all maroon GP7 Rock Island from MTH and there is another one on ebay now for $250. That would give me 3 for the rest of my days.

There are NO passenger focused diesels in this catalog in my road names in Premier. I don't necessarily want to run passenger using Rail King locomotives.

I noticed that Rail King rolling stock for the most part is only $5 less than Premier rolling stock. I'll look at the 4 bay hoppers on page 64 and pull the trigger on one of them. I don't have a GT, or much GT in my inventory.

I have not seen a Rock Island Rolling stock item for years, since Lionel put out the 60 foot 'cushioned underframe' box cars maybe 4-5 years ago. And the one on page 118 is new. It has never been issued. So I will get 2 of them. The Illinois Central I have several of those.

The Hoppers on page 124 - in my part of the country I can always use ADM Hoppers. Here's the deal - on ebay these go for asking prices of $50 to $70 already and then you have to pay $15 to $20 on top of that for shipping! With a pre order at my LHS I get 10% off and no shipping. So for $63, this is a decent rolling stock deal.

You have Cargill and KCS in there too and Hoppers pop on most layouts.

Passenger car selection is pretty bad in my opinion at 4 pages total and minimal road names, and 2 pages of Madison cars, which is too old for my focus. I need a set of CB & Q Zephyr passenger cars, and Golden State and more. Oh well.

·
Admin
43,464 Posts
I like the PRR P5a Boxcab. I have one already but the body Shell seems to have zinc rot issues...
MTH was promising to replace the zinc rot shells of those if they ever did another run. Contact them, you may get a shell for free and then you don't have to buy the new one. ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I didn't see anything that got me all hot and bothered in the new catalog. I'm still waiting on my Big Boy I ordered off the last catalog.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
MTH was promising to replace the zinc rot shells of those if they ever did another run. Contact them, you may get a shell for free and then you don't have to buy the new one. ;)
Thanks John. I heard something to that effect. I will give them a try. I am not the original owner though. Don’t know if that will make a difference or not..

Tom

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
After looking through it a few ours ago, I waited until now to see what may have stayed with me as being interesting.

So far I'm interested in:

*Premier Santa Fe SD45

*Amtrak or Penn Central Turbo Train

*Add on 3 coach set of Strasburg wood sided passenger cars. (still waiting for somebody to make a Strasburg steam loco)

There might be others but I'm eying the Golden Gate Depot Amtrak Viewliners and Amfleet cars that will put a serious dent in my train budget.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Usually if nothing gets the adenalin flowing from the internet release, once I get the hard copy I will find something that perks my interest.

Bill

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I like the GM Aerotrain and the Alco PA.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'll definitely buy the Nickel Plate streamlined passenger cars. I usually don't buy new freight rolling stock but I might make an exception and buy one of the twin stack container sets. They tend to be expensive used so I might bite the bullet and just get them new.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Those are very nice I agree. Nickel Plate used to be the chosen fallen flag a few years ago, I would see a lot. It's a classic old time name which I wished I had to money to get them on my layout. If you are a Nickel Plater then this should be a consideration.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts