Model Train Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I like the GM Aerotrain and the Alco PA.
Denny, I got the Denver Rio Grande PA's from the last MTH catalog and they are beautiful!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I like the GM Aerotrain and the Alco PA.
Denny, I have the PS3.0 Union Pacific GM Aerotrain and extra coaches from a previous catalog. While it's a good looking engine and set, unless you add a pound or more weight to the engine it's a poor puller once extra coaches are added to the original set.
Also, MTH has unfortunately, like in previously catalogued sets, decided not to put engineers in the engine or passengers in the coaches. :(

·
Registered
494 Posts
Order got placed yesterday. With the last 2 catalogs I have well over $5000 in orders and $1500 on account at the dealer/hobby store. I hope MTH is reading this. In addition to that in the past 2 years I have easily dropped $12,000 on O Scale stuff on ebay - Lionel and MTH orders and buildings, etc.

I've done the research for the most part. Meaning I know what will and will likely not be available in O Scale in the next few years. I'm 56. I know I should budget, but if I pass on an item, from my monitoring of catalogs now over the last few years, I won't see it come around until much later if ever, depending on the new landscape of reduced new item purchasing.

Rolling stock is a bit different. I am buying up Lionel 60 foot box cars for less than sold new, even with shipping, and generally do not feel like I am missing critical pieces.

Passenger cars are also different. I need passenger car consists for my Milwaukee Road DL109's, I need a passenger consist for my Burlington Route E3's and E's, and I need locomotives for my Union Pacific passenger cars. I need a solid Golden State passenger consist.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Order got placed yesterday. With the last 2 catalogs I have well over $5000 in orders and $1500 on account at the dealer/hobby store. I hope MTH is reading this. In addition to that in the past 2 years I have easily dropped $12,000 on O Scale stuff on ebay - Lionel and MTH orders and buildings, etc.

I've done the research for the most part. Meaning I know what will and will likely not be available in O Scale in the next few years. I'm 56. I know I should budget, but if I pass on an item, from my monitoring of catalogs now over the last few years, I won't see it come around until much later if ever, depending on the new landscape of reduced new item purchasing.

Rolling stock is a bit different. I am buying up Lionel 60 foot box cars for less than sold new, even with shipping, and generally do not feel like I am missing critical pieces.

Passenger cars are also different. I need passenger car consists for my Milwaukee Road DL109's, I need a passenger consist for my Burlington Route E3's and E's, and I need locomotives for my Union Pacific passenger cars. I need a solid Golden State passenger consist.
Yep, when ordering new if you don't order when offered you may not get another chance unless it is a UP Bigboy that seems to show up every year or two.

Bill

·
Registered
494 Posts
Big Boy it seems will be in every catalog from now on. Because it is so expensive they probably don't get a lot of orders but have the parts and assemblies pretty much ready to go. Big Boy is an iconic layout setting train that most hobbyists with money want in their collection and some may have 2-3 of the road numbers. I can't afford one, from Lionel or MTH, and don't run steam.

·
Registered
494 Posts
And here is the problem especially with MTH. It's not really a problem but it is for my wallet and focus. As you guys know, a model train O Scale 3 rail enthusiast has a lot of options. Yes we would like to see obscure road names and offerings but we still have a lot of options.

With my primary 4 road names I collect, I am set forever. But the way MTH does their catalogs is awesome and scary. I don't do steam, only diesel, another attempt to not spend too much money. I was browsing the MTH catalog on line for no apparent reason (Hi rail v scale wheel conversation) when I stopped in the Premier steam section. Not interested in a Big Boy, even though that is in one of my road names.

But on page 80 and particularly 81, MTH provides that unique historical background on the NKP 2-8-4 Berkshires and their history with Nickel Plate and Pere Marquette in a model that pushes all of the buttons - I would think - for you steam guys. When I first started in the concept of wanting an O Scale model train layout 8 years ago at age 48, I grabbed a couple of catalogs from the LHS and consumed the information. Nickel Plate Road was hot and heavy in those days and I had never heard of them.

But the write ups in the MTH catalogs and the imagery of a name like "Nickel Plate Road" made me want to get their locomotives and rolling stock. These Berks sound fun. Most of the steam MTH offers day in and day out are eastern names. As a Premier model the ones on page 80-81 hit all the buttons for me - detail, authenticity, sounds, steam and looks. But I will have to pass. MTH does a great job with their 3-4 paragraph historical narratives.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts