Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a very nice MTH 30-4036-1 N&W J #612 that is totally dead. I understand these had a very common board problem. Does anyone know where to buy the board and what they cost. Also does the motor run on AC or DC ? If the cost of the board is prohibitive I am considering wiring the motor direct to the pickup rollers so it will just run forward. Then I assume I can also wire the headlight and smoke unit direct as well. Would appreciate any input on these ideas.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
That’s got a 5V PS2 board. They have been known to go bad. I don’t think you can get a new PS2 5V board and since they are a known problem, I don’t think you would want to. You can get a PS3 board for around $200 plus another $100 to get it installed.

The motor is DC. The smoke unit is also DC at a reduced voltage. They would get cooked if you gave them track power. I have personally fried an MTH smoke unit that way.

Gunrunnerjohn put one of these in one of my dummies to run a smoke unit. Its rated at 3 amps so it probably won’t be enough to run the motor, but there are most likely buck converters that will.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322010010794

I suspect there are also low cost boards that will give you the ability to run in forward or reverse.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, while there's a small change the 5V board can be revived, it's a very small chance.

In order to return it to it's former glory, Bob has the answer. I can normally turn those around fairly quickly.
Hi John
Can you estimate what it will cost to have you work your magic ?
Thanks
Gerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts