Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this e-mail from one of the dealers that I buy from. If true, looks like it will be Iphones or Ipads in the future from MTH

Bill

LAST RUN OF MTH DCS HAND HELD

The MTH Handheld has a new product number (50-1038) and this will be the last run for this item. The hand helds will be in short supply and are expected in January.

Order now to guarantee you will receive one.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Well this one was beat to death "over there" -- but what the heck! I think it's a mistake really myself. While I guess I like the option of using my phone or a flat panel ...

I don't necessarily want to only use that...

Having said that, I never really liked their remote all that much either -- and to be fair I have not tried their offering because I don't really want to buy their wifi connector unit.

Given all that, I'll just punt frankly.

And in fact I'm having such fun over in HO-land installing DCC modules. That even though that's its own ball of wax and $$$ issue to boot in various ways, and even more so retro fitting the O scale engines I do have...

I'd be tempted to seriously consider it as a long term option.

After which I could rip that center rai... oh I better stop here.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have a spare setup, but since I don’t have a layout yet, my remote is used mainly for testing locomotives. I think it is kind of odd that a company would cease production of an item that does sell and has a large following.

Personally, I really don’t care to use my communication device as a train controller. It seems to be an industry fad that everything you own has to be controlled from your phone.

Finally, patents aside, I am curious to see if a third party manufacturer picks up the production of DCS handheld remotes. There is room for improvements with the current MTH device...

Tom
Tom

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Last October at York, I asked one of the MTH reps about the remote. He said that they were having difficulty getting some of the parts and hinted that at least one of the parts suppliers was trying to price gouge.

I have a spare TIU, a spare remote and a spare thumbwheel so I think I will be OK for a while. Part number 50-1038 came up empty at MTH.com. Part number 50-1002 still works and it looks like there are several dealers that have them in stock.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Talking about having spares, in general, what is the shelf life of the electronic boards in these as well as the tmcc, dcs boards in engines and led lighting boards in passenger cars and buildings?
Won't the electronic components in them eventually deteriorate from sitting and never being used for a prolonged period of time, i.e., year after year? I recall having read somewhere that capacitors or whatever parts have shelf lives and eventually either leak or dry out? Hopefully, someone with knowledge of electronics will chime in on this discussion.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
So an option is to RTC from Mark Devechio
http://www.silogic.com/trains/RTC_Running.html

But this is a pc program so it might seem like a similar issue.

Further it depends on the interface continuing at the tiu and remote. And the commication details remaining about the same. And marks interest in cracking it.

It seems possible given this to make a handheld. But of course saying and doing are two different things. It would take a dedicated effort and interest which few or perhaps none would really have ...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I could set my watch to that comment. Yet I don't have a watch.

Obviously it would be such a pile of work -- only the truly dedicated possibly slightly daft would take it on.

And they'd probably do that only to discover the next MTH TIU upgrade broke the port comm somehow.

I mean, it's not worth it which is why Mark who was dedicated and perhaps slightly daft enough to crack the interface himself... won't (likely) do such a thing...

·
Admin
43,695 Posts
If the customer backlash is sufficient, MTH will find a way to build a new remote. If it's not, they won't.

One issue with the smart phone "replacement" is if you have multiple TIU's, you need multiple WIU boxes, one for each TIU. Also, single handed operation with a touch screen is not nearly as easy as with discrete controls.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone know if the MTH remotes currently for sale will work with the 4.1 software update (which is what I am currently running in my TIUs and remotes)? Or, another way of asking, do replacement remotes come with a software version already ~ which I guess is up to 6.x and then I'd need to update my TIUs?

·
Registered
134 Posts
John, that's good to know.

BTW: My DCS is set to 4.1 - I recall its the version you loaded...must have been 2-3 years ago now. Is there any benefits to updating to 6.x or whatever it is now?

fyi: other than some flaky multi-unit response 4.1 has been working decent. I am not one to update anything unless it needs it (don't fix if ain't broken), as my system is older and I don't have the right cables anyway.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts