Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I returned to this hobby, I didn't know anything about MTH, which was a shame because I live in Columbia Maryland. So I went with what I had known as a kid, Lionel. Since that time I've seen all sorts of really well thought out guesses as to what happened to MTH. Like the old cliche of "the forest for the trees" I believe people have over analyzed this. Mike Wolf saw the perfect perfect moment in the Columbia commercial real estate market. 14.5 million dollars in his pocket as he approached a time in life when he was young enough to enjoy his retirement, but old enough not to want to struggle with a difficult business. Now a year later the commercial real estate market here in Columbia Maryland is flooded with available space. I just wish MTH was still around to keep Lionel on it's toes.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Somewhere I saw a mention that scaletrains thought about buying all of it ... But decided it was too much for them to absorb. Well talk is talk. Still it's a little surprising no one has bought up at least some remaining pieces -- save scaletrains and atlas I think.

·
Admin
45,205 Posts
A number of the pieces of MTH have been sold off, and there are rumors about more of it. Time will tell what finally happens to all the pieces. I heard one rumor that Lionel as acquired some of the Premier steam tooling, that would be cool if they finally produced some of the stuff they've never done before. :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yeah but will it work, or be painted the right colors if Lionel gets some of the tooling LOL

A number of the pieces of MTH have been sold off, and there are rumors about more of it. Time will tell what finally happens to all the pieces. I heard one rumor that Lionel as acquired some of the Premier steam tooling, that would be cool if they finally produced some of the stuff they've never done before. :)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
It will be interesting to see what tooling Lionel is thinking about. Engines only MTH has done or engines that MTH did better than they did. IMO all of MTH’s USRA engines are better including the 0-8-0s, Mikados, and Pacifics, better detail and all came with big Pittmans vs little Mabuchis.

Pete

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If your building your engine in say Guangdong. I imagine that's where you'd want to get the pcbs and motors too. I think that's where china has really beats the pants off other low(er) wage areas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like I've been away from the hobby too long, had no idea MTH would be closing up shop this year.

Although I've always been a Lionel enthusiast first and foremost, competition is good for the consumer and of course to attract new people. Hopefully someone will purchase at least part of the business and keep it going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your building your engine in say Guangdong. I imagine that's where you'd want to get the pcbs and motors too. I think that's where china has really beats the pants off other low(er) wage areas.
AFAIK, all of the Premier Steam is still made in Korea. My newest steam from ~2019 says that anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts