Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MTH diesel non sound locomotive that runs nicely.

I'm looking at an MTH proto 3 sound locomotive. I've read that the proto 3 sound is compatible with DCC.
From looking at their documentation, some of the CVs and function keys seem different. The basic CVs are the same.
F3 is startup ans shutdown whereas F3 on my other locomotives is short horn.
F8 on my other locomotives is sound shutdown.
F6 is volume control, whereas CV 128 is mater volume on my others.

These are some examples I've seen in their documentation for proto 3 sound.

Anyone have any MTH locomotives with proto 3 sound and can give me some insight on how compatible it is with dcc or any issues you've had to handle to have it work like other sound locomotives? Did you really have to make many adjustments?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
There are two different matters here: DCC vs DCS, and “function mapping”. The F functions can be migrated to any key you wish.
As for DCC being compatible with DCS, they only play so nice, then they don’t play at all. You can run an MTH loco using DCC, but only at a rudimentary level. To get the full use of an MTH decoder, you need their system.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I have 6 Proto Sound 3 locos (EMD F3s) on my DCC system and
they run just fine and have all the functions I want to use.
They look good, sound good, run great and have exceptional
low speed capability. You can program the CVs with DCC just fine.
Much more than a rudimentary level. Very happy with them.

True there are some DCS functions that aren't available with DCC but
they're not things I am interested in. I'm not into all that fancy stuff.

Magic

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I had to educate myself a bit before I responded to make sure I wasn’t going to sound like a stuck curmudgeon. It’s true, the Proto 3 versions are considerably more DCC friendly than their Proto 2 Sound, so my bad. I haven’t kept up since relegating MTH to the sidelines some years back for what were then considerable deficiencies.
The company does make a very good product and has a strong following. Quality has only sometimes been a problem, such as about seven or eight years ago with their Big Boy steamer. In that respect, they all have their dogs now and then.

So, agreed, better than rudimentary interoperability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts