Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have an MTH F3 diesel from an HO starter set 81-4001-1, and it does not seem to remember it’s address in DCS. I can add and run the engine just fine, but after I shut it down and remove power, it needs to be re-added every time. When I check the engine’s info, it claims it has 0 miles and the “battery” (I know it uses super caps) is low. I used to run the set with the included DCS remote commander and did so for quite some time, so I know the mileage is not accurate. Any ideas on why this may be happening?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
it may be that the battery doesn't have enough voltage to keep the address and mileage ?? don't really know as i stay away from these MTH units ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally decided to carefully open the engine and have a look. I found the issue right away. One of the supercaps had broken off its solder joint. I re-soldered it back in place and the engine now works and remembers it mileage and address.

However, the sound does not work. I tried turning up the volume and checking the individual sound's volumes and there are all the way up. I checked all my connectors and everything appears to be fine. Before I opened the engine, the sound worked just fine. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I should also mention, I'm mostly an O scale guy, so I'm a bit out of place here on the HO forum. I deal with PS2/3 all the time with O scale, but this is my first and only HO engine and first time repairing one. Any help is appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts