Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of a recently released MTH product, a G.E. 44 ton Locomotive.

It is lettered for a very short line, 1.4 miles, the Hoboken Shore Railroad. The HBS was the result of the merger between the larger Hoboken Manufacturers Railroad and the HBSRR, the smaller of the two lines. Both lines were combined in 1954 and operated the heavy rail traffic in and out of the many shipping piers of Hoboken, NJ. With the decline of shipping traffic on the Hudson River and the Hoboken piers, the line was finally abandoned in 1978.

The locomotive 701 began life in 1947, being delivered to the HMRR originally. When the merger in 1954, the 701 and sister 700 were painted in Hoboken Shore colors.

The MTH model is right on with the paintwork. The scheme isn't as flashy as other schemes, but it is well applied and the colors are right on. It is a PS3 locomotive and runs very nicely.

I have included some pics of the engine itself as well as some vintage photos of the crowded pier area these tiny locomotives worked within.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
It’s interesting that they would catalog a loco for such a tiny short line. I guess short lines are where most of the 44 tonners worked. Wonder how many they made in that livery.

I kind of like that paint scheme.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Nest short, short line 44 tonner. I currently have the Great Northern, terrific runner on the layout and have the Kodak Manufacturing on pre-order.

Bill

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys. I have another PRR 44 Tonner, it is a Williams engine. That one is just conventional operation only.

It is an odd line for MTH to catalog. There are other users, like the Arcade and Attica, that would seem more deserving of a model representing them. MTH also did a Middletown and NJ 44 Tonner. Another obscure Jersey/NY railroad. Interesting picks. So many railroads had only one or two of these engines and any one time, it seems.

John, this engine is just a drop in the bucket. I have a few more new engines I have not opened yet!

Tom

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Very nice engine. I too have just picked up the MTH Maine Central. Looks great and runs good too. I am running it conventionally and its doing a great job pulling 5 log cars.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the Maine Central version, really sharp looking. They are perfect for pulling five or six cars around.

These little engines are at home on small short lines as well as big city switching operations. It seems that many of the big railroads like the Lackawanna, Erie, PRR and others had them based on the New York City side of the Hudson to work the once many sidings that were fed by float operations on the river...

Tom

C

·
0 Posts
Congratulations on the new engine, Tom. I never heard of the Hoboken Shore Road but it's a very attractive locomotive.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.

Joe, I never knew too much about the HSRR until I worked in Hoboken. I used to walk around Hoboken on my break and noticed bits of rail here and there. The piers are all gone but the streets where the rail ran, are still there. The old float dock is evident, where cars destined for other float facilities were loaded.

The one photo at the bottom of my initial post shows a portion of right of way that is now "Sinatra Drive" near 11th Street. Everything looks the same except the tracks and the vintage cars are gone...

Tom

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Wow! THAT is cool. Like John, I never heard of the line, and to have that picture of the real one. Very nice.

I really love the MTH 44-tonner. I have two. Just nice locos and as you say, these models can pull five or six cars, which is probably all the 44-tonner was really ever were intended for in the real world. Your's is pretty special, though, being such a rare railway line.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Lee. The Hoboken Shore Railroad would make an interesting line to model, especially in o scale. It would be all switching and not much mainline running though.

The real line actually bought an old Erie business car for their own, shortly before their demise, to use on inspection trips of their one and a half mile railroad!

Tom

·
Registered
191 Posts
Like others, I have never heard of this railroad. Looking at the track plan, I imagine that in it's heyday those engines got quite a workout. As a local history buff, it's nice to see the train mfgrs help preserve the history even it's in toy form. I also love the P&LE boxcar in tow!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
That's a nice looking locomotive. The colors look good on it.

Do you know what became of the locomotive after '78?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was definitely a busy short line in its day! Imagine the days before container ships when large freighter ships were unloaded by hand into waiting boxcars!

I believe the 700 ended up on some shortline near Morrisville PA as of 2004. It may be with the New Hope and Ivyland now, but I am not sure. The details on the disposition of the engines is kind of sketchy...

Tom

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bob, I have seen "On The Waterfront" a couple times. I need to watch it again and see if I can spot the railroad stuff in the background.

Hoboken has changed so much, not too much is recognizable in modern days compared to the movie. Interesting town.

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts