Model Train Forum banner

MTH loco quality?

964 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Magic 
#1 ·
how is the quality of the MTH HO scale locomotives? is it on a par with Kato, Athearn, Atlas?

I am shopping for a switcher or a GP with DCC and sound.

I want good warranty and a good service policy in case I ever have an issue.

#2 ·
MTH engines can elicit a "like 'em/hate 'em" response from a lot of folks.

The reason is that MTH chose to implement its own proprietary standard of control, which they call "DCS" (instead of dcc).

The problem is that trying to use a DCS engine on a dcc-controlled railroad may run into incompatibilities, glitches, unexpected happenings, etc.

This may not be the case for everyone. It might not affect you at all. But it's something to be aware of before you buy.

I don't own any MTH engines (yet), but I think the best thing to do is to research and "read up" on the INDIVIDUAL units that interest you.

I've noticed that at least one recent release (the GP35) now come in DCS/sound/dcc versions, and also a version that is sound-less, DCS-less, but dcc ready.

#3 ·
I think it might be a subjective evaluation based upon your skills.
As for the quality of the detail of the locomotive, they are one of the best.
As for the DCC functions, their older DCS was an attempt to win the world over to their train control software. They went to a decoder that worked both wave forms but then, it seemed that programming in DCC was more difficult.
I think they are installing DCC only decoders in their locomotives now. Not sure what brand though.

#4 ·
They're like any other modern loco out there. They're great until you run into a lemon. The trouble with MTH is they're trying to carve out a special technological niche for themselves that's suppose to be, agreed to be, and accepted by the model railroading industry to be an open source standard to bring compatibility across the board for all manufacturers of products being offered to us by the model railroading industry. MTH does not always play nice with others. They try to hold back on options you've paid for unless you use their propitiatory DCS operating system; which doesn't really offer much more than standard DCC. Make no mistake, they make beautiful locomotives. I own a few of them, but have not run any of them yet. I think what they're trying to pull will eventually bite them in the butt.

#8 ·
The first one I got was a PA1 Proto Sound 2 in SP Daylight livery.
I also have a PB1 and another PA1 but no sound and Digitrax decoders.

Next bought 2 ABB sets of F3s, Proto Sound 3, one in SP Black Widow
and one set in Santa Fa Warbonnet.
They look great, sound great and run great.
The sound is a bit too loud but I just take out my hearing aids
and they are just fine :eek: :D :D

Magic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.