Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did MTH ever produce the Premier USRA 0-6-0 lettered for New York Central?

I swear I saw one on eBay or at Mario’s Trains website, but now I can’t find it....

Tom

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob.

I missed out on one. It was at Mario’s and sold pretty quick once he put it on sale. I found another but the dealer is asking full list for it.

I snoozed and loozed.....lol.

Tom

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The PS3 from the 2011V2 catalog has Bussinger’s listed. They are just around the corner from me. Not sure if they keep their MTH inventory updated these days. They aren’t open on Mondays. You can give them a call tomorrow, but they also have been asking full list.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it was Bussinger’s where I found one. They are asking full list price, $200 more than the one I missed out on.

I wouldn’t even mind picking up a PS2/3v version.

Tom

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Bussinger's doesn't discount much, if at all.
I liked Charlie a lot. I enjoyed talking trains with him and that was probably the main reason I stuck with Bussingers. After a few years he gave me a whopping 3% discount and towards the end, he was giving me 10% off. His daughter has gone back to the zero discount. I pre-ordered a few things on an agreed 10% off (one salesman wouldn’t do it, another did). But I had to remind him of the agreement when the first item came in. The second item was just shipped by MTH. We’ll see if the 10% off still holds.

Dealers have to pay shipping from MTH. Unless you sell a lot of trains and/or you can drive to Columbia, MD to pick up a load yourself (like Just Trains and Nicholas Smith), there probably isn’t much margin to discount stuff. But if you don’t discount stuff, I don’t think you will sell too many trains.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t hold it against them for not discounting. If they can afford to sit on stock longer, more power to them.

They will probably get their price eventually. I just can’t justify the extra $200 right now.

Tom

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found another one on Amazon! Only $815.00 !!!

From Nicholas Smith Trains...

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
There is one lettered for UP on the bay for less than half that. NYC decals can still be had. The lettering can be removed easily without damaging the paint. A liitle dull cote and bobs your uncle.

This one came lettered for Wabash.

image.jpeg

Pete

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a C&NW USRA 0-6-0 and I bought it with the idea of repainting into NYC. I have the paint and the decals already.

Just figured I would pick up a factory painted version and sell the C&NW steamer. Looks like I will be doing the repaint instead...

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
You won't need the paint. Lacquer thinner will remove the lettering.
I use a Q tip or paper towel dampened in the thinner.
This is the Legacy version, came lettered for Grand Trunk. Since it came with the number boards I lettered for one of the subs. Probably a fantasy engine.

image.jpg

Pete

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice. I will give it a try. Thanks Pete!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally, after 9 months, I did the letter stripping like Pete suggested. The lacquer thinner worked perfectly.

I started relettering using an old photo I found on the net. Not complete yet, but it is working well. I am using K4 decals for NYCS steam...

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Tom, let me suggest before you apply a clear coat is make sure there is no haze under the backing sheet. Having attended the school of hard knocks, its rare that you can apply decals on any surface other than high gloss and not get that haze. I always use a clear gloss on the area the decal is going. No need to cover the whole model though. A clear over the decal won’t make the haze go away only accentuate it.
That MTH 0-6-0 is one of my favorite switchers.

Pete

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Pete. The decals set well with no silvering, so it should come out okay.

Did you use dulcote for a finish coat?

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have used Dullcote but have transitioned to the bulk version in my airbrush. The spray can was just too heavy and hard to get smooth. On some models I use a homemade mix of Floquil Flat and Floquil glaze which is not quite as flat but matches the existing satin when I don't want to repaint the whole model. I have a few bottles of each left over. You might be able to do the same with Dullcote and some other gloss.

Also, I actually prefer transfers for the numerals as you don't have to do the prep and overcoat. Woodland Scenics RailRoad Roman is pretty close to NYC early font. The Gothic sans serif, not so much. NYC post 1939 seems pretty unique. Only Champ and K4 late steam seems to work there.
Pete

1 - 20 of 35 Posts