Model Train Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, Thanks Pete. I finished the engine using dulcote from a can. It seems to have worked well.
I have a Lionel USRA 0-8-0 coming, that I will be relettering for Erie. Erie steam decals are a bit of a challenge to find, but I found some that will work...

Here is the B62...I just need to find the right number set for the smoke box number plate...

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Came out great Tom!
Mike, Coating transfers is optional. If you use fresh transfers on a small area that usually doesn't get handled I don't coat them. You have be careful when you do use an overspray that it doesn't lift them. Use only light coats and let each coat dry to help avoid lifting.

Pete

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks Pete! Same number as yours. That engine must be pretty popular!

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Looks like NYC may have had only one USRA 0-6-0. The Weaver version also has the same number.

Pete

·
Admin
44,009 Posts
I have the MTH 20-3281-1 Premier 0-6-0 from one of the many smaller lines that NYC absorbed. Here it is when I was testing my reliability upgrades.

Actually, MTH lists it as a NYC locomotive and doesn't show the "System" or the "CR&IRR" on the product page. This is their product page picture.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I don't think the parent company ever had these. Wikipedia says they all went to the Chicago Junction sub which frankly I was unaware of.

The parent companies 0-6-0s had bulker cabs and are somewhat distinctive.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I was looking for that MTH engine originally but they were long sold out. Only Bussingers had them at full list....

I am happy with mine now.

doing a 0-8-0 in Erie next....

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Here is my MTH engine. BTW there is another one on eBay now.

This is a model of the 0-6-0 at Utica, NY pictured above. It appears to have suffered the same fate as the prototype when some kids released the brakes on a pair of cement hoppers which rolled into the engine and shoved it into Utica Station.

Pete

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Wow, Pete that looks like a nice kit. Who made it?

I remember reading about the runaway that struck and shoved the locomotive. Wasn’t the NYS&W handing those car?

I finished my Lionel 0-8-0. A fairly easy project. I had to use HO Microscale decals that actually fit pretty well. O scale decals don’t seem to exist...

Tom

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Tom, the kit is from Stevenson Preservation. The tender is in kit form as well. He also sells detail parts. Worth checking out for future projects. If we are still in lockdown this winter I plan to start on it. Too nice now to be holed up in the basement.
Another nice decal job on the 0-8-0. Anymore I just look for prototypes disregarding road names. Many times you can find less popular road names at a discount.

Pete

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The kit looks like a lot of work. I probably wouldn’t have the patience to build something so intricate, let alone get it to run. Where did you find it?

I like being able to change road names on the engines. Steam works well as there isn’t much in the way of painting. The Erie 0-8-0 just needs to have the side window frames painted red to complete the project. The availability of decals can be problematic though.

I am painting some freight cars as the decals for doing interesting roads are available. Next project will be some MTH 70’ smooth side coaches in NJDOT colors...

Tom

21 - 35 of 35 Posts