Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a PS3 Santa Fe Northern from Trainworld. When I took it out of the box, the most jarring aspect is that there is no metal needle that sits on the drawbar against the tender hitch. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way or if it was a production error. Can anyone tell me if its supposed to have the needle? The product number is 20-3667-1, catalogued and released 2016-2017ish. There is power going to the engine, but it is not moving. I am convinced that the lack of a drawbar needle is why this is so, but I would like clarity before I take the engine to the technician. Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have the same locomotive. There is no needle (or small steel wire) on the drawbar on this locomotive. My guess is that you don't have the drawbar electrical connector on the tender plugged in fully. They can be a bear to connect at times.

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
I have that exact same SKU - 20-3667-1. It does not have the small wire/spring on the drawbar like so many PS# steamers do. Mine runs well.

As Maxum said, it can be difficult to get the connector to seat completely. sometimes with this low and others I have to reach under and really push the connector up hard to get it to seat well - only then will a loco run.

If that does not work, more info is needed. You say there is power but the loco does not move. Does it make any noise? Do any lights come on?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The lights and stuff may work if the engine is not fully connected to the tender. Sometimes I use a towel and lay the entire engine on its side to attach the drawbar.

Make sure all your switches Under the tender are set right. Are you running conventional or DCS?

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running conventional. But the tender switch is set to DCS mode. I believe the other setting is DCC.

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
If all else fails turn the switch to DCC instead of DCS and try it, but like Krieglok said it's probably the connector not seated well. Ont he bigger locso they are a pain to get seated well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts