Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are the PFA station stops for the Proto 3 version of this train specific to the railroad? I've heard the PRR rail version with its announcements for Harrisburg and Philadelphia but what about the New York Central or Union Pacific rail line versions What stations stops are mentioned for those railroads?
If the PFA announcements are rail line specific, can the PFA sound file for one railroad be replaced with the PFA sound file of a different railroad.? If that can be done then where can I locate those proto 3 Aerotrain PFA sound files and what's the procedure for swapping them? Btw, is it possible to listen to those PFA announcements on a computer, tablet, or android smartphone before switching them?

·
Admin
45,491 Posts
The sound files are compatible if they're all PS/3, you can freely swap them. I don't know what the sound files for other road names have for station stops, it's logical to assume they're not Phila stops.

You can check out ADPCM and Playing Clips from ".mth" Sound Files for an application to listen to the sound clips in PS/2 and PS/3 sound files.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
The sound files are compatible if they're all PS/3, you can freely swap them. I don't know what the sound files for other road names have for station stops, it's logical to assume they're not Phila stops.

You can check out ADPCM and Playing Clips from ".mth" Sound Files for an application to listen to the sound clips in PS/2 and PS/3 sound files.
Question for ya GRJ, can PS-2 sound files be transfered to a PS-3 loco ?

Bill

·
Admin
45,491 Posts
You can put 3V PS/2 files into a PS/3 locomotive. Note this applies to diesels for sure. Steam may be problematic as the intelligence is spread between the locomotive and tender. I haven't actually wanted to put a PS/2 file into any PS/3 steam, so I don't know how that would work out. It isn't likely to hurt anything, you just may not get the results you expect.

Although the PS/3 steam upgrade uses a "PS/3" board, the PS32 board is a special case. It actually emulates a PS/2 3V board, so anything you load into a PS/2 3V board should load into the PS32 board.

PS/2 5V files are not compatible with 3V PS/2 or PS/3 boards.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Merry Christmas Day everybody.
Thanks to all of you who responded to this post.
Btw, SDIV Tim, who many cars do you have your Aerotrain pulling? Forvmy consist I'll be adding five additional passenger cars to the original set. I don't know if that amount was prototypical for the brief time UP had their Arrotrain in service but nonetheless hoping the engine will be able to pull that many.
Also, GRG, I searched for those PRR sound files but was unable to find them. I hope you or someone else who reads this can post a link to those 3.0 version files.
Do enjoy the remainder of the holidays and be happy, keep safe. healthy, and keep your engines and rolling stock traveling the tracks free of derailments.

·
Admin
45,491 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Merry Christmas Day everybody.
Thanks to all of you who responded to this post.
Btw, SDIV Tim, who many cars do you have your Aerotrain pulling? Forvmy consist I'll be adding five additional passenger cars to the original set. I don't know if that amount was prototypical for the brief time UP had their Arrotrain in service but nonetheless hoping the engine will be able to pull that many.
Also, GRG, I searched for those PRR sound files but was unable to find them. I hope you or someone else who reads this can post a link to those 3.0 version files.
Do enjoy the remainder of the holidays and be happy, keep safe. healthy, and keep your engines and rolling stock traveling the tracks free of derailments.

I have a total of 6 cars. 1 tail and 5 standard. I started a thread about it earlier this year. Lee has somewhere around 8-10. He also stared in a “My favorite train this week thread.” Gunrunner has 11 cars roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GRJ, did you have the opportunity yet to do the tmcc conversion you were planning to one of your aerotrains? Also, have you changed the right taillight on the trailing car to a clear backup light? If so, did you use the wireless method you were contemplating and if added, was it the tmcc or mth proto engine you modded?

·
Admin
45,491 Posts
I haven't done the upgrades to the Aerotrain yet, the second one is still a PS/3 locomotive. :) My upgrades were to the one that I added a crew and ditch lights, and then I installed passengers in all the coaches and of course, converted them to LED lighting.

I need to address the issue of the transmitter continuously transmitting and blocking other functions, so I will need to put a little thought into the backup light addition.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, John.
I hope you, your wife, and family are enjoying the holidays.
May all of you prosper and have good health in the New Year.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
...My upgrades were to the one that I added a crew and ditch lights, and then I installed passengers in all the coaches and of course, converted them to LED lighting....
John, a few more questions if you don't mind:
1.) Did the real Aerotrain have ditch lights?
2.) Whose brand and whar scale seated figures did you use and did you need to shave them to make them fit.
3.) How are the cars opened to do a lighting conversion?
4.) Since numerous reviews for this set laude it's crew talk and PFA station announcements as one of the trains best features, then why install TMCC? Does TMCC have additional capability and features that make eliminating the Proto 3.0 dialogue worthwhile?

·
Admin
45,491 Posts
John, a few more questions if you don't mind:
1.) Did the real Aerotrain have ditch lights?
2.) Whose brand and whar scale seated figures did you use and did you need to shave them to make them fit.
3.) How are the cars opened to do a lighting conversion?
4.) Since numerous reviews for this set laude it's crew talk and PFA station announcements as one of the trains best features, then why install TMCC? Does TMCC have additional capability and features that make eliminating the Proto 3.0 dialogue worthwhile?

1. Don't know, but there's a spot for them, so I figured I'd add them.
  2. I used some eBay figures, no "brand" that I know of, they were just in my collection, and I did have to shave them.
  3. A handful of screws takes the top off, no special magic to opening them.
  4. I want one with TMCC as I would like to run in places that don't have reliable DCS operation. I already have a DCS model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts