Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the MTH SD45s in the RailKing range scale length?

I bought one in the Erie Lackawanna scheme. I want to do some repainting and detail work on it, but I would rather not do the work if it isn’t scale ....

Tom

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I would say yes based on the following.

The description for 30-20293-1 says 1:48 scale proportions and has length at 17 ¼”.

The description for 20-20293-1 has length at 17 ¼”.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks Bob.

I did a bit of measuring and math (I hate math) came up with a measurement from the prototype‘s actual dimensions.

The RailKing is scale length. I saw the “1/48 scale proportions “ thing but that wasn’t telling me what I wanted to know. Something can be 1/48 and not be to prototype dimensions, like a Lionel Legacy NW2 for instance.

So, thanks for the affirmation. Time to get started!

Tom

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well I typically trust MTH when they note it's 1:48. I buy all MTH but tend to shy away from Rail King that not's noted as 1:48. At least in the last few years, this is noted in their catalogs as "Rail King Scale". If it's "just" Rail King, not full scale then I will hem and haw and decide if I need that Road Name bad enough to go slightly smaller.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
What is the product number for your engine Tom? There were 5 RK EL SD-45s made by NTH, but only 2 Premiers. I found it interesting that the 2013V1 Premier EL SD-45 and the 2015V2 RK EL SD-45 have the same number except for the first digit. Since both the premier and the RK are listed with the same dimensions (17 ¼ X 3 ¾ X 2 ¾), that’s what sold me on the RK being scale. They also call it RK Scale in the 2015V2 catalog.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have included this in the original post. It is the 30-20293-1.

It is a really nice model. It just came with white cab roof sections that don’t seem correct. They should be black or grey, to the best of my knowledge.

Also, being a EL “36 Hundred“, it screams for cab sunshades and the three trumpet horn. It also needs some handrail work to straighten a couple misaligned railings...

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts