Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a posting offering one of the MTH DCS remotes for sale with a non-operating LED display. Since MTH no longer has parts for it could the display be repaired by one of those outfits that repair cell phone and computer screens.

Not interested in buying just wondering if it could be repaired.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is a posting offering one of the MTH DCS remotes for sale with a non-operating LED display. Since MTH no longer has parts for it could the display be repaired by one of those outfits that repair cell phone and computer screens.

Not interested in buying just wondering if it could be repaired.
The problem is the specific LCD panel MTH used is not available. MTH has zero of these parts, and no known cross references to another substitute part are known.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, it's just a part, it's just solder, heck, you don't even need specialized equipment, a normal soldering iron with some skill at drag soldering could work, it simply comes down to can you get the part or an equivalent part, and right now, as of today, no.

No parts=no repair.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The problem is the specific LCD panel MTH used is not available. MTH has zero of these parts, and no known cross references to another substitute part are known.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, it's just a part, it's just solder, heck, you don't even need specialized equipment, a normal soldering iron with some skill at drag soldering could work, it simply comes down to can you get the part or an equivalent part, and right now, as of today, no.

No parts=no repair.
Just for you, I cracked open a remote quick to check.
The display is a Displaytech 32122A

Google says this might be a match https://americas.rsdelivers.com/pro...tech-32122a-bc-bc-graphic-lcd-display/5326975

I cannot guarantee that part is a correct match. According to the data sheet and pictures it looks pretty darn close.
The connection appears correct, the module type and description seem OK. Taken from the PDF data sheet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
could the display be repaired by one of those outfits that repair cell phone and computer screens.
Those shops and techs just replace parts. Unless they have a parts source and cross reference, they can do no better than looking up and finding the same information I did. Maybe I'm wrong, but again, they aren't magic, they just repair things they have parts for and mostly common parts. This is not a common part. In fact, when talking about tablets and phones, a lot of those are plug in connectors and some of those people never pick up a soldering iron.

The search came up with 1 place that has 5 of those screens in the UK. That's taking a bet, buying it, paying for shipping, waiting a month, and then hoping you can solder it in and it not only works, but doesn't kill the remote in the process- a pretty big gamble. I just ordered 2 of them and will report back if this works (might be a month or so).

The official part listing from MTH here BG-5000004 | MTH ELECTRIC TRAINS
NOTE: Remote must be sent in for repair as this is not a part sent out to anyone including ASC/NASC
(DCS Remote)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts