Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this MTH Railking RS3 that I am repainting. I noticed an odd thing when I went to disassemble the trucks and pilots.

The pilots with the step wells do not line up with the step way on the frame, at both ends. Is this normal for a engine like this?

It is an early PS2/3v That came from a Steelers set…

Tom

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never noticed before, but all of my MTH RS3s are like that.
Thanks Bob.

I was too lazy to pull one of my RS3s out of storage. I never noticed the misalignment before. Perhaps with a little machine work, I could extend the out to where they should be…

Tom

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I have this MTH Railking RS3 that I am repainting. I noticed an odd thing when I went to disassemble the trucks and pilots.

The pilots with the step wells do not line up with the step way on the frame, at both ends. Is this normal for a engine like this?

It is an early PS2/3v That came from a Steelers set…

Tom

A pic of the underside would show detail for those that don't have an MTH RS3 - like me.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will post one. I have it drying after some paint work just now. I am considering adding some brass stock and bringing the steps out to the proper position without loosing flexibility…

Tom

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GAD! You had to bring this up! Now I have another factory flaw I have to think about! :p:p

I never noticed this before either.

View attachment 565793
I am sorry John!

I never caught it either. I have three or four MTH RS3s and I never noticed either. I have some brass stock coming. I am going to try extending the steps a little to make it look better

Tom

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a pic of the underside…

I also placed the pilot where it should be located. When I get the brass stock, I will construct an extension piece and assemble it with screws or JB Weld.

Tom

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I played around with it. The coupler swing combined with the rotating trucks give the appearance of enough travel. The pilot is coming out a bit over 1/4 inch.…

Tom

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd mock one up and see how it works on the tightest curves you plan on them operating on.
I am going to try and fabricate an extension that screws together and uses the original pilot screw holes. Just have to do a little drill and tap work on the brass parts I will add.

If the mod proves to be to restrictive, I will be able to remove it and restore the original setup…

Tom

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I am going to try and fabricate an extension that screws together and uses the original pilot screw holes. Just have to do a little drill and tap work on the brass parts I will add.

If the mod proves to be to restrictive, I will be able to remove it and restore the original setup…

Tom
Maybe a zip tie, or even painters tape to hold it in place may give you an early indication.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, there a number of ways to attach the lengthened pilot mount. I will have a better idea once I get the brass stock. I don’t mind doing the machining work to set up a test situation.

Tom

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Yes, there a number of ways to attach the lengthened pilot mount. I will have a better idea once I get the brass stock. I don’t mind doing the machining work to set up a test situation.

Tom
I wonder if MTH had to make the location adjustment becuase of the issue GRJ mentioned.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could be. I was thinking of widening the space on the pilot where the coupler is mounted. It may give the original swing capabilities back with the modification…

Tom

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, the coupler still sticks out a bit, at least the whole knuckle. It looks much better, but we will see how it functions…

Tom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts