Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a older MTH GP40 shell (20-2424-1 PS2 5v) and I want to place it on a later production MTH GP40 (20-20832-1) a PS3 chassis.

The older shell has the four double spring electrical connections. Does the PS3 chassis use the same spring contact design?

Tom

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I know my PS3 SD70s have the spring contacts. I doubt MTH would have to change the shell design to accomodate PS3.

Pete

·
Admin
44,385 Posts
I suspect they probably do, but I wouldn't want someone to buy a locomotive based on my guess as to how they wired it. It's quite possible the contacts are in different locations, etc. Most of the new stuff does use contacts, so the odds are good. :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks guys. I dont mind taking the chance. I could just resell the engine if it doesn’t work.

The MTH site has the exploded diagram for the older PS2 5v engine, but they don’t seem to have one of the PS3 version...I could tell by the drawing if it exists somewhere...

Tom

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the contacts.
Just re-wire it with plugs if you have to.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Dano. That’s true. I considered that actually. I will make it work.

The shell appears to have all the lights and markers intact. I am figuring they are the same voltage as the PS3 system. Hopefully, I will have a simple swap but I know better than to be too confident that it will happen that way..lol.

Tom

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I am watching for a PS2/3v GP40 to put the shell on. I will use a PS3 chassis and just transfer the lighting to the new shell, if worse comes to worse...

Tom

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a complete PS3 GP40 on the way. I will transfer the lighting from that shell to the older shell. I don’t mind doing the labor...

Tom

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an older NJT GP40 shell from a PS2 locomotive. I am buying a new PS3 GP40. When it arrives, I am placing the old shell on the new chassis.

As the old shell is complete with PS2 lighting, I will have to transfer the PS3 lighting system from the new shell into the old shell when I make the swap...

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts