Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new-old-stock PS3 MTH engine and it has a sound problem.

Model # 20-20855-1 (from 2017 Vol. 2). I'm using DCS TIU/Remote powered by a Lionel 180w brick.

When I placed the engine on the track, it was immediately recognized and added to the remote. It started up with no sounds. I could tell it started because the lights and smoke unit powered up. Using the DCS remote, I went into Menu>Sound>Engine Sounds Vol. When I turned on the sound, the engine emitted a high frequency squeal instead. It was piercing! I was able to turn it down. The bell and horn work fine. In fact, the engine seems perfect besides the sound. It moved forward and back and the couplers fired. FWIW, I do believe the engine is new. I purchased it from an MTH dealer, it was wrapped like you'd expect, and there was .8 on the odometer. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just received a new-old-stock PS3 MTH engine and it has a sound problem.

Model # 20-20855-1 (from 2017 Vol. 2). I'm using DCS TIU/Remote powered by a Lionel 180w brick.

When I placed the engine on the track, it was immediately recognized and added to the remote. It started up with no sounds. I could tell it started because the lights and smoke unit powered up. Using the DCS remote, I went into Menu>Sound>Engine Sounds Vol. When I turned on the sound, the engine emitted a high frequency squeal instead. It was piercing! I was able to turn it down. The bell and horn work fine. In fact, the engine seems perfect besides the sound. It moved forward and back and the couplers fired. FWIW, I do believe the engine is new. I purchased it from an MTH dealer, it was wrapped like you'd expect, and there was .8 on the odometer. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Entirely possible it just has a bad sound file. MTH does NOT check every engine, they batch produce these, I've seen a handful of examples of bad engines where reloading the sound file fixed them. All it takes is a bad data block and yes, that's what it would sound like.

If you have a TIU, and a windows PC, then you can flash it yourself.
So to the support tab on the engine and download the sound file linked here p172_p_emd_e-8_slsf200130cf4x-cnsmr.zip

Consumer loader here DCS Loader Program | MTH ELECTRIC TRAINS

·
Registered
245 Posts
Eric's trains did an older video. Sorry this one is for backing up the sound file and sometimes that's a good idea, but in this case, you can skip this.

·
Registered
245 Posts
No need to backup the sound file. It takes a long time, we assume yours it's bad, we know the correct sound file and have it handy, so again, save yourself at least 45min to an hour and don't bother backing up known bad file..
Video 2 is the correct video I should have linked first.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is that cable he's using to connect the TIU to the PC? He calls it a 9-pin cable. Clearly that's what is on the TIU end. What is on the side that connects to the PC? He doesn't show that.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a new PS3 recently that squealed like a pig the first few times I started it. Then the problem went away by itself and hasn't come back.
Interesting. I'll keep working this sound file angle but I would be happy if that happened in the meantime.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My TIU is a new-ish (less than 3 years old) Rev L. Does that mean I can use a USB cable and forget about the 9-pin?

·
Registered
245 Posts
My TIU is a new-ish (less than 3 years old) Rev L. Does that mean I can use a USB cable and forget about the 9-pin?
Yes, highly recommend using USB for faster flash times. Also, if possible, best to flash on a separate test track with just the TIU connected. The less interference and possible noise while transferring the sound file.

It can take some time, and every once in a blue moon I have a difficult engine or file that takes an attempt or two to get flashed over.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stepped away from the layout for a while. When I came back, I decided to power up everything again. I'll be d____d if it didn't fix itself! Just like Bob/Lehigh74 suggested. Of course, now I'm really wary.:oops:

I'm going to walk away again. If it continues to work, I think I should leave well enough alone. Do you think it has anything to do with sitting around for 3-4 years before it was used? It's a PS3 engine so no batteries...

·
Registered
245 Posts
If it continues to work, I think I should leave well enough alone. Do you think it has anything to do with sitting around for 3-4 years before it was used? It's a PS3 engine so no batteries...
During the flashing sequence it sometimes takes a few power cycles and reboots. MTH built an incredibly complex and powerful system that is the PS3 control board consisting of both a micro processor and FPGA subsystem. The firmware and sounds files have to program all that hardware in a sequence that requires power cycles where step 1 has to be completed before step 2 can happen. Until it's settled, there can be a situation where it goes to play a memory location and that location wasn't ready.

So yes, a new engine out of the box, not entirely impossible or unheard of for it to clear up after a few power cycles.

If it doesn't clear up, then possibly consider a reflash. Sound first, and then if that still doesn't work, then do the firmware chain file process.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Meanwhile, I'm contemplating using ADPCM - Playing Clips from Sound Files to custom edit a sound file and replace the train wreck sequence on a Canadian National to the "I sent her a little too hard bud" audio meme.

Once you get into this audio "I can change my engine do what I want thing"- you realize the amazing power MTH gave us over a Lionel.

·
Admin
45,491 Posts
One tip when loading sound or chain files is to use DC to power the test track. Another useful tip, especially for PS/3 locomotives, 20-30 feet of wire between the TIU and the test track where you're doing the programming. Each of these measures will make the process go smoother.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts