Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the dummy engine trucks plastic and lighter then the powered engine trucks? Iam thinking about converting a fried power unit to a dummy but it weighs a ton.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The dummy trucks are the same as the powered trucks. They even have gears on the axles. Easy to convert a powered unit to a dummy. Just remove the motors, pickups and electronics. I've done it.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
Work on the weight problem first. Most dummies of diesels I have seen in Lionel postwar frames are very similar but not identical. Dummy wheels have no gear teeth or traction tires.
You do post some terrific stuff, more than once you had me chasing items in boxes or searching manuals. A good start is always the make, engine number, and model number if the piece is modern( 1980 to present) . Otherwise an answer might be so vague and just not worth replying. Keep them coming you have stumped me a number of times and showed me some rare stuff.(y)
I wouldn't think a dummy would have geared wheels but I suppose they would if using the same trucks.

·
Admin
43,984 Posts
The dummy trucks are the same as the powered trucks. They even have gears on the axles. Easy to convert a powered unit to a dummy. Just remove the motors, pickups and electronics. I've done it.
Not universally true Bob, not even close. Many of the MTH dummies do not have gears. Some just have the gears on the actual axles, but not the intermediate gears or the drive gear that engages the motor worm. I just stuck another set in the box from a repair, no gears in sight in the dummy trucks.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
On MTH can you remove the motor and still have the truck attached?
Yes. The motor is assembled to the motor mount. That assembly is connected (through the frame) to the truck. To make a powered unit into a dummy, you first remove the motor/motor mount assembly from the truck, then remove the motor from the motor mount and then finally reconnect the motor mount (through the frame) to the truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts