Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been getting quite a few special announcements from MTH lately for uncatalogued items available at only one exclusive dealer. Seems like I’ve been getting about one every week. I usually dismiss them, but I thought I would pass the latest one on (a Southern Switch Tower at the Train Loft) in case there are some Southern fans here.

https://mthtrains.com/30-90427

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
It does seem that a few of MTH & Lionel larger dealers have been hitting the uncataloged band wagon. Pats Trains, Mr Muffin, Charlie at Nassau to name a few seem to be doing alright with the exclusive product.

Bill

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Choices certainly confront train buyers this season and a significant difference in price with a lot fewer QC worries.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nicholas Smith has also had a few specials lately. Even Holly Beach (a smallish shop) has had some PRSL stuff made by MTH.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I guess I’ll have to resubmit my email address. I use to get these announcements and they’ve seemed to stop coming.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
People are saturated with trains. No doubt about it. And with the recent spat of Lionel's quality control issues where they can't even get color correctly, peeps are hesitant to pre-order.

These dealer exclusives with low production runs are attempts to entice peeps to roll the dice and pre-order again. I think that's the prime reason we're seeing so much of this type of offering these days.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing missing from most RK diesels is smoke.
That was true at one time, but in the current catalog, about 70% of the RK diesels do have smoke. The RK RS-3s had smoke for a time, then not, but the current ones do have smoke.

·
Admin
43,984 Posts
Interesting they brought back smoke in the RS-3, I have a PS/2 one that doesn't have smoke. Looking at the website, apparently the PS/3 ones started including smoke again.

I can't really complain, I bought four of the Reading MTH locomotives, three Premier and one RK, all for $500. All the Premier have smoke, just the RK lacks it.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Size may be a factor in whether or not a loco has smoke. Neither the tiny Premier 44 tonner or Railking SW1 have smoke.

But I think for the Railking line, the locos are built to a price point and if smoke would push it over the line, then it won’t have smoke. In the current Railking line, the MP15 (13” long) and E8 (14.5” long) don’t have it. The RS3 (14.5” long) and FM H10-44 (13” long) both have smoke.

·
Admin
43,984 Posts
Size may be a factor in whether or not a loco has smoke. Neither the tiny Premier 44 tonner or Railking SW1 have smoke.
Correct, there is a size where smoke is a real tight squeeze. However, talking about the RS-3, size isn't a factor, and the PS/3 ones all got smoke again.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
LIRR fans might be interested in this one.

Item No. 30-20684-1 Long Island MP15DC Diesel Engine w/Proto-Sound 3.0 (Cab No. 154)
Item No. 30-20685-1 Long Island MP15DC Diesel Engine w/Proto-Sound 3.0 (Cab No. 163)

Item No. 30-20686-1 Long Island MP15DC Diesel Engine w/Proto-Sound 3.0 (Cab No. 171)
Item No. 30-20687-1 Long Island MP15DC Diesel Engine w/Proto-Sound 3.0 (Cab No. 161)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts