1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Will there be additional warehouse finds like RMT? Sorry couldn't resist

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I am not sure there will be a lot of trains to bid on. The layouts maybe or displays. Most of the parts have already been claimed.
Pete

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The auction may be fun. It is sad, however, that it is a result of losing another manufacturer of the equipment we have all grown to cherish. For me, MTH always seemed to be a bit better in quality than much o fate competition.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Once the lights are out, Lionel will have the super majority of sales. I doubt that they will hold prices down without any competition.

Bill

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean Lionel has been holding prices down since they have to compete with MTH? Could have fooled me.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Not quite. A current employee of MTH is slated to take over parts distribution. I would be surprised if you see parts offered at the auction. Obviously with no new trains being made when those parts run out then it will be up to 3rd parties to make them. Who knows, maybe those who currently make parts for post war Lionel will see a market for MTH parts.

Pete

·
Admin
43,840 Posts
Without continuing electronic support, the whole existing MTH inventory will die a slow death. I can't get PS32 boards new, and I was told that they didn't know when they'd have them available. If that's the situation now, it isn't likely to get better when the doors actually close! No electronics, no DCS.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
And to think, they used to "do more, right out of the box".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not quite. A current employee of MTH is slated to take over parts distribution. I would be surprised if you see parts offered at the auction.

Pete
Are you at liberty to share with us which MTH employee will be taking over parts distribution?

Also, why then does the announcement for the auction mention “parts” among the warehouse contents to be auctioned?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Without continuing electronic support, the whole existing MTH inventory will die a slow death. I can't get PS32 boards new, and I was told that they didn't know when they'd have them available. If that's the situation now, it isn't likely to get better when the doors actually close! No electronics, no DCS.
Are you familiar with BlueRail. They make a 5 amp board for O-Scale controlled by a phone app. And they have a DCC decoder option board. At present, they only support IOS. But with MTH gone, they may be a viable conversion option. Adding an Android app is a must. Not sure about the other features they'd need to offer. That's your expertise (do I hear consulting fees :) ).

Given your side line is repairing these locos, perhaps starting a dialog with the company could "start the ball rolling."

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I have a name but am not a liberty to say more. I can say its not Midge unfortunately. It comes from an inside source. When the auction lots are posted then we will all know if my information is good or not.
I have no idea why PS3 parts are not available. It may have something to do with the fact that MTH is still building and selling new trains and wants to have parts for warranty work. But that is only a guess on my part.
Pete

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
You mean Lionel has been holding prices down since they have to compete with MTH? Could have fooled me.
Nope, we all know that Lionel has been shafting their followers for years and they love getting the shaft. Poor quality at sky high prices and the faithful can't get enough of it. Without MTH it will get worse.

Bill

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not quite. A current employee of MTH is slated to take over parts distribution. I would be surprised if you see parts offered at the auction. Obviously with no new trains being made when those parts run out then it will be up to 3rd parties to make them. Who knows, maybe those who currently make parts for post war Lionel will see a market for MTH parts.

Pete
the flyer states complete inventory and another part states parts.

unless someone has already remove parts the flyer is not truthful.

again imo.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If this is like on line old car auctions I used to bid on, you bid and if you win, you have to arrange shipping. That certainly can't be the case.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts