Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Admin
43,794 Posts
Are you familiar with BlueRail. They make a 5 amp board for O-Scale controlled by a phone app. And they have a DCC decoder option board. At present, they only support IOS. But with MTH gone, they may be a viable conversion option. Adding an Android app is a must. Not sure about the other features they'd need to offer. That's your expertise (do I hear consulting fees :) ).

Given your side line is repairing these locos, perhaps starting a dialog with the company could "start the ball rolling."
I know about BlueRail, I'm getting their product update notices. I'm not really interested in that until it reaches critical mass. Also, I would have significant issues trying to sell most of my customers on that option.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think MTH is shut down in spirit already. The guy I talked to is leaving in two weeks, and he has no idea what is going on going forward.
That makes sense. When a business announces they are closing, all the good people leave as fast as they can.

I've heard from the long time train shop owner I've patronized for years that MTH has been for sale for the past year, but had no buyers. Then the thinking was he announced the closing to push potential buyers to make higher offers. Looks like that's not happening, so if that was the strategy, it didn't work. Whatever Mike's thinking, this long closing process seems likely to backfire. Who's going to buy the stuff that will come out later this year and into next? Seems like there may be another auction in late spring to sell off remaining unsold inventory. AND, who's going to be around to run the business for the next 9 months? When one of the local department stores went out of business, almost immediately they had signs out saying "Now hiring." They needed temp staff to man the registers during the two month going out of business sale. Those people didn't really care what happened, or whether merchandise walked out of the store unpaid. This may be a bit of an ugly close down for MTH.

I only ever owned a couple of MTH engines (Rail King). Nice, good operating engines, but no "magic" of postwar Lionel. I didn't keep those long.

·
Admin
43,794 Posts
I know I just glanced at the latest MTH catalog and then figured it was pointless to order anything, who knows what I would get. I expected parts to get harder to get, but I figured I'd have time to lay in a stock before that happened! Obviously, I was wrong. :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
If MTH isn't shutting down until next spring, why are they having an auction in September?
From what I understand they have to be out of the building by the end of the year. Makes you wonder where they will hang their hats for the next 6 months of operation.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Douglasville is about 50 minutes from me so IF I register for the auction and IF I win anything, I can pick it up.

Don't know if it changes your mind about the auction John, but it's about 40 minutes from you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I understand they have to be out of the building by the end of the year. Makes you wonder where they will hang their hats for the next 6 months of operation.
Funny - right after your post about moving was this advert

Brendan

·
Admin
43,794 Posts
What makes you think they'll be in operation for the next six months? I tried to order boards and was told they didn't have them, and didn't know if they were getting any more. Doesn't bode well for the future, at least to me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What makes you think they'll be in operation for the next six months? I tried to order boards and was told they didn't have them, and didn't know if they were getting any more. Doesn't bode well for the future, at least to me.
That is what MTH published. They would produce everything in the current catalog (not likely) and that should take them into the first half of next year.

From the announcement by Mike Wolf off their website...

The new items featured in all these catalogs will be available beginning Summer 2020 through April 2021 and will carry our limited one-year warranty supported by our Authorized Service Center network and the M.T.H. Service Department. Upon our closing in May 2021, our ASC network will provide warranty coverage through April 2022. A list of M.T.H. Authorized Service Centers is available on the M.T.H. website and will be updated as M.T.H. Authorized Retailers join the program over the coming months.

·
Admin
43,794 Posts
That is what MTH published. They would produce everything in the current catalog (not likely) and that should take them into the first half of next year.

From the announcement by Mike Wolf off their website...

The new items featured in all these catalogs will be available beginning Summer 2020 through April 2021 and will carry our limited one-year warranty supported by our Authorized Service Center network and the M.T.H. Service Department. Upon our closing in May 2021, our ASC network will provide warranty coverage through April 2022. A list of M.T.H. Authorized Service Centers is available on the M.T.H. website and will be updated as M.T.H. Authorized Retailers join the program over the coming months.
IMO, this is a pipe dream! Why in the world would retailers join this program when it's being disbanded in less than a year? Also, the idea that ASC's will provide warranty coverage when there's no future products in the pipeline and it's difficult to impossible to get parts is pretty unlikely as well! Warranty repairs by ASC's are provided for free, they only supply parts. The assumption is that the retailer is making money selling MTH ongoing products. Since that will not be the case, there's very little incentive for the retailers to provide free service for MTH.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Of the many curious things about this closing is the discontinuty of customer support. I know Midge has already left the building. I have not tried to order parts but wonder if anyone else has tried to order anything lately either by phone, email, or through their website other than electronics? Also if a couple of guys have taken over DCS why can't you get boards or kits? Its been hardly a smooth transistion.

Pete

·
Registered
114 Posts
Of the many curious things about this closing is the discontinuty of customer support. I know Midge has already left the building. I have not tried to order parts but wonder if anyone else has tried to order anything lately either by phone, email, or through their website other than electronics? Also if a couple of guys have taken over DCS why can't you get boards or kits? Its been hardly a smooth transistion.

Pete
I just ordered some misc trim parts from MTH via their website 2 weeks ago (trucks, a valve hanger) for a future project. The order shipped the day after I placed it and was at my house in 3 days. That is the FASTEST turnaround I've gotten from any MTH online parts order ever.

I'm buying boards/kits whenever the DCS guys announce their company. I've heard they are currently setting it up and something should come out shortly, but who knows. If not I guess it's ERR from here on out.

I did order a Railking scale ATSF FM H10-44 from 2020 V.1. Was supposed to come in July 2020. haven't seen it yet. The Premier ATSF R50B express refrigerator I ordered from 2019 V2 has not shown up either, and that was supposed to be here in November 2019. At this point if they arrive cool, if not I'll live.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Good to know parts supply is functional. I hope even after the shutdown they are able to supply traction tires from the current source. I have been replacing all the tires on engines Lionel made in the last ten years with MTH tires. They are not as thick and last years longer than whatever Lionel is using now.
Pete

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Good to know parts supply is functional. I hope even after the shutdown they are able to supply traction tires from the current source. I have been replacing all the tires on engines Lionel made in the last ten years with MTH tires. They are not as thick and last years longer than whatever Lionel is using now.
Pete
You might want to stock up now ...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I tried to order a smoking tank car the MTH website said was in stock even let me click on it. after taking my money and weeks passed i sent an email and Regina Amsl answered and said the item was not in stock. they refunded my money.

will not try that again.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Hopefully their website doesn't go away. There needs to be a source of the sound files but also its a great reference to find just about every item they have produced. Legacy MTH.
Pete

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm hoping, if the DCS company gets off the ground, they post all the sound files on their website.

One advantage of only having two roads I model (ATSF & SP) is that I only need the sound files for those 2 roads steam locomotives. I downloaded all the sound/chain files for all the PS2 3V and PS3 Premier steam locomotives MTH made for those roads, along with the steam PS32 chain file. Saved copies on 2 computers and an external hard drive, just in case.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts