Model Train Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Ok forgetting cost & just thinking about mth o scale engine board alternatives ... Does DCC interoperate with legacy?

This to me means... You put 18v ac on the 3 rail track but with a DCC pwm wave mixed in, while legacy is doing it's rf thing and using the ground in it's inexplicable way...

And somehow assuming the DCC "sound decoder" you installed in place of ps2/3 board boxes in your old mth engine can be commanded using some as yet identified DCC controller.

While your legacy engine gets commands through the legacy base...

At the same time...

Seems a stretch...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
A friend has tried running DCC engines with Legacy and found it kills the Legacy signal.
He says DCC works great with AC engines though. I suspect most of us have too many engines to convert though.

Pete

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
At $200+ ea right now i agree and if it doesn't work at the same time as legscy... And there are some other systems and options but... cost as you say. Of course if the market we're large maybe it could be done more cheaply.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I run prewar. But following the major systems as a laymen, it would seem that BT w/phone app will be the eventual winner. That would allow 3rd party conversions in the future should a vendor develop a generic product.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts