Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it realistic sounds or just noise ???????

This weekend I have four of Lionels sound cars in operation on the layout along with 5 consists of sound equipped locos. The sound cars are 3 brake screechers and i clunker. It does make for an interesting combination of various sounds.

The brake screechers are somewhat realistic but the clunker is a what the heck is that noise suppose to represent. I have the sound switches turned to Min which eliminates about 75% of the clunking in the 3 separate sale boxcars/reefers. The 4th reefer is from the 3 car reefer set that Lionel released a couple years ago. Switching to Min does not reduce the clunking very much compared to the 3 separate sale sound boxcars / reefer.

It is what it is, so is it realistic RR sounds or just noise.

Bill

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The only time I talked to anyone in know about this was I think an esu rep at a now gone local hobby shop. He claimed they recorded real engine sounds. And described a frenetic scene of wires, mics and balancing. But... Who knows?

·
Registered
339 Posts
He claimed they recorded real engine sounds. And described a frenetic scene of wires, mics and balancing. But... Who knows?
Another thing that can happen along the way is there's a lot of changes that can happen to hi fidelity recordings that diminish the quality by the time they squished down to be stored and played on a chip. Then there's the dinky little speaker inside a plastic car ... yikes.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Another thing that can happen along the way is there's a lot of changes that can happen to hi fidelity recordings that diminish the quality by the time they squished down to be stored and played on a chip. Then there's the dinky little speaker inside a plastic car ... yikes.
The "dinky little speaker" is, by far, the weakest link in the audio quality chain. It has no ability to produce low notes. Thus the reproduced sound lacks the original bass frequencies regardless of the quality of the signal.

Low notes are easy to compress. The chip (i.e., compression scheme) obscures the highest frequencies first. Higher levels of compression equates to losses further down the from the top of frequency range.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder why MTH has never ventured into the sound freight cars. Obviously they have the capabilities and know how to produce the freight cars with sound but seem to stay away with that opportunity.

Bill

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The only time I talked to anyone in know about this was I think an esu rep at a now gone local hobby shop. He claimed they recorded real engine sounds. And described a frenetic scene of wires, mics and balancing. But... Who knows?
ESU actually does do this. That's why their sound samples are so darn good.

I caught a video recorded in Germany of them recording the various sounds of an electric locomotive. Very sophisticated set-up.

·
Admin
44,195 Posts
The "dinky little speaker" is, by far, the weakest link in the audio quality chain. It has no ability to produce low notes. Thus the reproduced sound lacks the original bass frequencies regardless of the quality of the signal.

Low notes are easy to compress. The chip (i.e., compression scheme) obscures the highest frequencies first. Higher levels of compression equates to losses further down the from the top of frequency range.
If the manufacturer's would add a better speaker and proper baffle, the sounds get much better. Ever notice how much more bass you get by just putting a spray can lid over a speaker in the tender of a locomotive? Ever wonder why Lionel's sound is so much better than the MTH sounds as a rule? No mystery, Lionel does use better speakers and most of the steam has a well engineered baffle for the speaker. Lionel also frequently uses dual speakers for many of the steamers.

I've greatly improved a couple of my MTH steamers by adding a home made baffle on the speaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts