Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All cleaned and ready to go.

I did paint the steam chest and the trailing truck.

The before lower left.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
T, I'm really glad you posted those pics (great job, by the way!). I've been looking for one to post to ask a question. In your first photo, What are all those extra linkages on the connecting rods? Do they operate the valves in the steam chest, are they part of the reversing mechanism? In real life, what do they do?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I gathered from your post.The steamchest has two cylinders. The top small one is reverse. The large bottom is the main drive to the center wheel. The crosshead is a support for the main drive. In the Lionel case the rods are connected opposite from your link. They are drive rods to the center wheel and the connecting rods power the other two.

After workimg on a Mantua Pacific I did learn about the 90 degree offset between sides.

Why do people assume I know a lot about real trains?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't assume that you do---I just thought it was a great pic of what I was looking to learn about and figured someone would jump in with the answer. Most trains have the standard set of connecting rods, but a few have an unusual arrangement with small, additional connecting rods and linkages from the front drivewheel back to the steam chest. I was curious as to what those are and the purpose they serve. Most steamers don't seem to have them.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Great pic! I'm not trying to put you on the spot---I'm just trying to see if anyone can tell me how the mechanism works. I'm referring to the silver rod that is on a 60-degree angle and connects the front drivewheel to the steam chest. I'm guessing it controls the timing of the valves to allow a blast of new steam to enter the cylinder and force the piston forward and vent the old steam out ahead of it. I'd have posted it as a new thread, but couldn't find a decent pic to show what I meant. Sorry to have hijacked your thread! By the way, that Pere Marquette is absolutely beautiful.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Hi Reckers,

I think you're basically on the right track. Try these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_locomotive_nomenclature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_gear

Coincidentally, I've just been reading (and learning for the first time) about steam TURBINE locos ... turbines driving gears driving wheels ... no pistons. I didn't know there was such a thing! Wiki says that only a few developed in the US ... they had great efficiency at high loco speed, but had their death-call if tasked to operate at low speeds.

The reason I bring this up is that I was wondering how one would engage "reverse" on a turbine loco? I'm assuming that the turbine itself would always spin in the same direction (the impellers were designed to be uni-directionally efficient, like airplane wings), and that a gearing mechanism would shift the torque direction from fwd to reverse. But that's just a guess on my part.

Any thoughts? I'll do a little digging ...

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
As normal great work "Epoxy Man!:D

I think your not done yet T, are you missing some things (< plural is a hint) on the front of the engine.

Do you know what it is?:confused:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts

I think your not done yet T, are you missing some things (< plural is a hint) on the front of the engine.

Purty lil lights in those fixtures?:)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I have the jewels but what to glue??? Super, epoxy, or Elemers?

Now I have to do the other steam chest. All too often the chest seems to fade so here is a good example of a before and after. The new paint works with the old on the boiler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Hey T-Man,

What type of black paint are you using?

I've been under the (false and naive) impression that old black cast (i.e., Bakelite) Lionel locos were simply the raw plastic-like material. But I've now read that most of these were factory-painted black.

So what are you using to match up pretty closely?
And are you air-brushing?

Thanks,
TJ

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
And with apologies for more of my off-thread topic babble ...

I had been talking about the mechanics of REAL steam turbine locos and said:

"I was wondering how one would engage 'reverse' on a turbine loco? I'm assuming that the turbine itself would always spin in the same direction (the impellers were designed to be uni-directionally efficient, like airplane wings), and that a gearing mechanism would shift the torque direction from fwd to reverse. But that's just a guess on my part."

I was SO WRONG!

A quick read tells me that the Penn. RR's 1944 venture into steam turbine locos via the #6200 6-8-6 had a dedicated large turbine for forward propulsion, and a smaller / separate turbine for reverse. I.e., redirect the steam to the smaller (opposite rotation) turbine to back ol' Nellie down the track.

Incidentally, the (real) Penn 6-8-6 was the prototype for Lionel's 671 O-gage and 2020 O27 gage locos (produced during the late '40's).

And with that, I'll turn the conversation back over the T-Man's brilliant fixer-up handiwork!

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey T-Man,

What type of black paint are you using?

I've been under the (false and naive) impression that old black cast (i.e., Bakelite) Lionel locos were simply the raw plastic-like material. But I've now read that most of these were factory-painted black.

So what are you using to match up pretty closely?
And are you air-brushing?

Thanks,
TJ
Walmart flat black spray.
The camera can be deceiving but it works.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Shoot T man that engine only used red markers.:laugh:

Just kidding looks nice. What did you use plain old white Elmers?

I though for sure you would use epoxy.:D

·
Yard Master & Research
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I went with yellow. It would be easier to clean out if I go to red.:)

I have more to do also. I just was never shamed into doing it.

DID you see the repair kits for the markers on ebay?
I guess you cut a section off the front and glue or solder a replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Reckers,

I think you're basically on the right track. Try these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_locomotive_nomenclature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_gear

Coincidentally, I've just been reading (and learning for the first time) about steam TURBINE locos ... turbines driving gears driving wheels ... no pistons. I didn't know there was such a thing! Wiki says that only a few developed in the US ... they had great efficiency at high loco speed, but had their death-call if tasked to operate at low speeds.

The reason I bring this up is that I was wondering how one would engage "reverse" on a turbine loco? I'm assuming that the turbine itself would always spin in the same direction (the impellers were designed to be uni-directionally efficient, like airplane wings), and that a gearing mechanism would shift the torque direction from fwd to reverse. But that's just a guess on my part.

Any thoughts? I'll do a little digging ...

TJ

TJ,

Excellent reference material! With your permission assumed, I'll cut and paste your references into my earlier thread about steamers.

Thanks,

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
I went with yellow. It would be easier to clean out if I go to red.:)

I have more to do also. I just was never shamed into doing it.

DID you see the repair kits for the markers on ebay?
I guess you cut a section off the front and glue or solder a replacement.

How much were they?
Looks like they would fit right on with glue. (or epoxy:D)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts