Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured I would start a rebuild post with this loco!! Had it for a bit. ( 30 years ???... or so )

It needs all new axles & a new drive gear. The drive wheels will basically spin right off!! Lol
I found a 3D printed set on shapeways & ordered them. I am repainting it to fit in my current layout. Chesapeake & Ohio / Pere Marquette.
I am not sure if the C&O ever had a 4-8-4 , but in my lay out they will... lol
I did not care for the bright silver gray they had on the boiler, so I painted it with a silver ,flat black , gun metal mix.
I have a updated smoke box to put in it , and a new pancake motor for it ...... for now! I may look at something more custom in a bit.
I bought one off of eBay as a part loco.
I will play with that frame to see what I can fab up.
Any input , or suggestions is welcome!
Thanks for looking guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also should I paint the hand rails black , or leave them shiny??

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Paint the handrails. It looks more realistic that way.

Now that I have seen your locomotive, I remember I had the same one when I was a kid. It was a good runner on my poor track work!

Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Chessie did indeed have very fine 4-8-4's, and they called them Greenbriers.
Thanks for the video!!!! That was amazing! I did not know about them.
I am just a bit new to the whole railroad thing. I have always enjoyed trains & only remember seeing a few steamers when I was very young! I believe I stopped seeing caboose’s hooked on when I was 8-10 years old.
I remember the chessie lines before CSX but that’s about it. At least in my area.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paint the handrails. It looks more realistic that way.

Now that I have seen your locomotive, I remember I had the same one when I was a kid. It was a good runner on my poor track work!

Tom
Black hand rails it is!! Lol I was really leaning that way!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Thanks for the 614 video. I remember a lot of those locations from when I worked on the Erie Southern Tier, based out of Campbell Hall...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Nice video. I remember the engine in Hoboken, where it laid over between trips.

They had an unfortunate incident when a 614 employee climbed up on top of the engine to check the sandbox. He came in contact with the 25,000 volt catenary and was severely injured. He wasn’t aware of the dangers of working in an electrified section of the railroad.

The locations, like JA mentioned bring back memories. I am still qualified up there but haven’t worked the territory in a few years. Arden has a station building that was being used as a Post Office. It was always a popular run by spot for the excursion trains.

Moodna viaduct was always an attraction. It seems longer looking at it from below than it did while running a train over it...

Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update time!!! I have received my gear sets from shapeways!! I will install them tomorrow! Hopefully I will have a running loco by mid day!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I have the gears in! It runs , but not good... yet.
I am having a horrible time quartering the dang things!
Also I noticed this thing doesn’t like my 18” radius curves! It just growls at them! Slugs through them then it takes a minute to think about it..... & jumps track! Lol
I will get it! It is nice to see it moving once again! It’s been 20 some years!! Lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I figured out why it hated the 18” curves so much..... due to my inability , and knowledge on quartering drive wheels I was off on all of them just a bit. Enough that it put so much bind on the gears that it broke 3 teeth on my drive gear, and cracked two axles!!.....
good thing I ordered two sets!

Just finished putting in the 2nd set & after reading & studying a lot of YouTube vids, I think i got it!!
It runs well. Goes through my turns ,( even the 2 18”s ) now I just want to add a few pick ups on the tender to help with the weak pick up points & I think it is done! Pics coming soon.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

A little video of the project. It is moving! I forgot how loud this thing is with that pancake motor!! Lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had another 4-8-4 I used for parts. So with that. I was not happy with the pancake motor it had.
I took my extra frame & did a little cutting & grinding. Fitted a nice can motor on it & fitted it with a big tall gear.
It runs at 1/3 throttle & moves nice. I still don’t know what to say about the noise!!! It’s loud!
Only with the body on. I assume it amplifies the gears spinning around. I know the old spectrum diesels sounded bad too back in the 90’s....
any ideas how to quit it up a bit?
I put a little foam in to see if it helped.... it did not. Lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts