Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Very nice modeling. I particularly like the slum neighborhood---maybe add a trashcan on it's side, contents spilling?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Fetrock,

I would like to offer one more suggestion. Let me start by saying you do excellent work; I love the details. That said, "Walmart" is the wrong name to put on your store. In the US, Walmart stores are never located in an older, inner-city environment. They are always located near major shopping malls or at the edge of town. They are also very large, encompassing roughly a square block with an enormous parking lot that's even larger.
A good alternate choice might be an F.W. Woolworth's store. They went out of business in the 1990's, but the store has the steel shutter rolled down: you could either be portraying the 1990's, or a contemporary neighborhood where the store closed years ago and nothing replaced it. Here's a pic of a Woolworth's, if you are interested:

Again, your work is excellent!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!
Yeah, I´ve noticed the fence too, of course.
I do have some fence, chain.link model, in plastic...but I just wanted to try this steel-thing and I thought this was a good time to do just that.

Somehow I try (hard) to really "scratch" most of the things I build, but as you say, sometimes it´s to damn hard to get what you want by making it out of the wrong stuff! =O)

Trashcans...coming up!
As you may have noticed, Im in Sweden and it´s hard to find pictures of those "nice" trash-containers (or what it´s called) on small weels...do you know what I mean???
So, I´ll try to scratch some of those "containers" and some ordinary bins too, building is like breathing! :laugh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fetrock,

I would like to offer one more suggestion. Let me start by saying you do excellent work; I love the details. That said, "Walmart" is the wrong name to put on your store. In the US, Walmart stores are never located in an older, inner-city environment. They are always located near major shopping malls or at the edge of town. They are also very large, encompassing roughly a square block with an enormous parking lot that's even larger.
A good alternate choice might be an F.W. Woolworth's store. They went out of business in the 1990's, but the store has the steel shutter rolled down: you could either be portraying the 1990's, or a contemporary neighborhood where the store closed years ago and nothing replaced it. Here's a pic of a Woolworth's, if you are interested:

Again, your work is excellent!
THANKS!
As you see, Im here back in Sweden and that sort of info is...hard to get your hands on!
(well, I´ve been to Chicago and Las Vegas but I didn´t look for things to remember as a scratchbuilder!)
Woolworth's there is, as soon as I get the sign right...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
No problem----you've obviously put your heart and soul into your town, and I appreciate how long it must have taken you. There's no way you could have known the Walmart thing without living here. Great job!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,857 Posts
What he made was the very first Walmart that opened in LA.:laugh:

Nice modeling! :thumbsup:

Certain types of window screen make good chain link fences too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yepp, Walmart goes LA...:D
I found a Woolworth sign on the net and I e-mailed it (hum, the picture...) to my wife since they have this badass printer where she works.

That netthing-ish I have tried, with some paint it looked ok, I have also some steel fence in plastic, I´ll try to get a pictore and post it here later on...

Over n out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another fence...

Well, I found a pic on another fence on my layout, plastic but looks nice:

This one is a steel gate at Hammer Avenue MC on Willhelm Street...rough boys on bikes...

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Jeez ... would someone cleanup all the graphitti around here? Damn kids ... always causing trouble.:D

Seriously ... nice layout ... very realistic, for an inner-city look.

Do we all have to wear clothes with a special "tag" color to check in on your progress?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Very, very nice! Could I offer one more suggestion? Rough neighborhoods are not known for their cleanliness...it's typical to see a bit of trash in a gutter or spilling out of a can, dumpster, etc. I mention it because there's a contrast: your buildings are great, but the streets are so clean and neat! Old stains from car oil, spilt paint....get the idea? Not everywhere...just a thin scattering to add to the authenticity. Great job, though!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jeez ... would someone cleanup all the graphitti around here? Damn kids ... always causing trouble.:D

Seriously ... nice layout ... very realistic, for an inner-city look.

Do we all have to wear clothes with a special "tag" color to check in on your progress?
I´ll be checkin´those tags on your clothes if you pass by the hood...:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very, very nice! Could I offer one more suggestion? Rough neighborhoods are not known for their cleanliness...it's typical to see a bit of trash in a gutter or spilling out of a can, dumpster, etc. I mention it because there's a contrast: your buildings are great, but the streets are so clean and neat! Old stains from car oil, spilt paint....get the idea? Not everywhere...just a thin scattering to add to the authenticity. Great job, though!
Yepp, got to get dirrrty, I think...stay tuned, got some pics coming up...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts