Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
1st post. Earlier this year, I decided to model the Freedom Train. I've been picking at it slowly but surely and I've still got a ways to go. Oh, and BTW, I have no layout yet:p Just modeling the train at this point, but I'd love some feedback. Pics of my work so far and more background tomorrow. Just wanted to say "Hi" tonight. We've got some serious thunderboomers coming in tonight, or I'd show some now. Don't want to blow anything. G'night.

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, storm's blown through so I can get my 1st pics up before bed.

My prototype will be the Freedom Train on it's visit to Rochester, NY in May of 1975. I was only 4 at the time, so I don't remember much, but my Grandfather LOVED trains, so I was actually there twice that week. It was displayed in the Genesee Valley Regional Market and we were one of the early visits (8th/9th).

My first pic will be unique to most modeling the Freedom Train because we were early. AFT Aux1 was still in primer as it was here. It would not get it's 1st version of the blue paint job until Ohio, where it went next.

My base is a Tenshodo 4-8-2 Mohawk tender

I scraped out all the "coal", primed it, and custom made a brass cover.

Complete!!

Here's a pic of me and Grandma, you can just see the front of the Auxiliary tender.

I have other pics, but they aren't mine and although they can be found on the web, I'm not sure if I can use them.

So 1 down. As I mentioned, a few are done already and more pics will follow. They are in no particular order, just what I can afford and find first. I'll put up a couple tomorrow since it's appropriate for Memorial Day. Enjoy

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's another set of pics before I get in to the cars I'm working on. For those familiar with the AFT, there were 3 flat cars that carried all the wagons for power supplies, tickets, concessions etc...They also carried a Blazer and a forklift that pulled the wagons into place. There was also an audio/visual van.

The audio visual van was just a repainted Atlas delivery van. I forgot to take "before" shots.

The Blazer was from Trident

Stripped it, repainted and weathered

The Wiking forklift before I got my mitts on it

And the 3 of them together.....

Hope you like

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imagination Station Kids on Track 4449 AFT

We run the American freedom Train (G scale) on our kids program layout. Here is a photo or two of the locomotive and helper. I think it is great that someone takes an interest in this train because of what it stands for. I rode on it as a kid and in the cab as well. I have to say when kids operate our layout and trains it is the most requested train. Good luck with your venture and please put up photos as your work progresses. Thanks! Ken c/o Imagination Station Kids on Track E. Helena, MT

Attachments

·
16,666 Posts
Jeff,

Great work on the work crew cars. That fork lift looks spectacular with its repaint. How did you make the roll cage?

How are you doiing the AFT logos? Custom decals?

The Blazer needs a car wash! :D;)

Thanks for sharing,

TJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We run the American freedom Train (G scale) on our kids program layout. Here is a photo or two of the locomotive and helper. I think it is great that someone takes an interest in this train because of what it stands for. I rode on it as a kid and in the cab as well. I have to say when kids operate our layout and trains it is the most requested train. Good luck with your venture and please put up photos as your work progresses. Thanks! Ken c/o Imagination Station Kids on Track E. Helena, MT

Ken, thanks for the words of encouragement. I've had a ton of fun on this project. I can see why the kids would gravitate towards that train. It's a monster...and you can't beat the colors!! Mine will have the T1 pulling it though as the rails on the eastern parts of the trip would not have accommodated the size of 4449. More pics definitely coming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff,

Great work on the work crew cars. That fork lift looks spectacular with its repaint. How did you make the roll cage?

How are you doiing the AFT logos? Custom decals?

The Blazer needs a car wash! :D;)

Thanks for sharing,

TJ

TJ
The roll cage is a paper clip and the top is cut from the window netting of a 1/24 Nascar model

The decals are custom, but not by me. I bought them from Accuen. Todd's a stickler for detail and they work great.

No car wash for the Blazer. It's a workin' mans truck! There's gonna be a little muck and dust on everything. Hopefully it's subtle enough to look real.

Sorry for my lousy pics. I really need to read the manual on this camera:laugh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car 202- The "Pie" Car

Starting with a BCW kit #220. I've cut out the doors with the bar-style windows and made a door with the correct centered window. Easy mod

Next shot with the model mostly complete and primed. Added custom roof vents.

New coat of white

Decals applied, shades added, and a little weathering. I just need to adjust the height of the trucks, replace with the correct 36" wheels, and get some grab bars on it.

So far, so good. Car 201 is next.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next victim.....

If I'm not mistaken, this guy is a dead-nuts match for Sleeper 201- no mods, just a repaint in red, white and blue!! That's luck for a project like this, although I'm not afraid of hacking up a perfectly good car to get my results if need be.

Primer

Done

And 201/202 in line

If you know anything about the AFT, you may know the car that's sneak-peaked there on the right. Any guesses?

Thanks for looking!!

Jeff

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
The American Freedom Train car!

(The original was just called Freedom Train.)

In 1973, to promote the idea of an "American Freedom Train", this car was painted white
with a blue roof and a wide red stripe across the window area -- and was the first car ever lettered "American Freedom Train".

In 1975 it did, in fact, see service as part of the AFT.

Nice work.:thumbsup::D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the winner is.....big Ed. For that, you win nothing :laugh:

We (Rochester) were fortunate in that, again since we were a VERY early stop on this tour, we were one of the few privileged enough to see this car in the train before it left. Like the aux tender being in primer only, my model will be a little unique from most layouts featuring the AFT because I can include this car and be prototypically correct.

Thanks big Ed for the background info. Here it is, the original car 200, Splendid Spirit

This one started out as a Bachmann Spectrum HW Santa Fe Observation car. It was the first car I did, and I didn't document much, so here are just a few fun pics of how it turned out. In Rochester, it was the 1st car after the aux tender (and it was running with the observation deck forward). It was displayed with 40 and 41 right behind.

Custom modifications I made on Splendid Spirit were the arial antenna, the louver things, and the little drape hanging from the observation roof (feeling a little silly not knowing the technical names, but you get the jist)

I still need a couple pieces of trim for the roof before I'm totally satisfied.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,526 Posts
The original Freedom Train was an Alco PA-1 #1776

freedom-train-locomotive.jpg

Right Mister Bob? (Shaygetz):D:thumbsup:

Bobs work, http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com/2009/12/lionel-ho-scale-alco-fa-in-american.html
AFT2.jpg

This engine carried the train FIRST through New England, Reading T-1, a 4-8-4, number 2101
AmericanFreedomTrainReading2101.jpg

THE ORIGINAL - Southern Pacific #4449, a semi streamlined GS-4 built for speed, she covered about 75% of the entire tour.
AmericanFreedomTrainSPGS44449.jpg

Texas Pacific, Texas Type #2104 carried the flag through the Southwest. She also has made a journey or two to Jacksonville on other occasions.

AmrricanFreedomTrainTexasPacific610.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Fellow Modelers

I have a couple new pics for the people checking out the thread...something fresh to look at. They are just workbench shots as I work on car 205. Enjoy!

Another look at what's done. 205 sits 90% complete up front

A WIP-Car 30 is done, 31 needs a few touches, starting the mods on 32

Taking apart the Lionel cars and making the shadow boxes on car 101

My "other" project taking up what little money I have: The "General" and her W&A train from the Great Locomotive Chase

Back to the Man-Cave. 205 needs curtains!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Change of plans. No curtains just yet. At first I was content with the HO Lionel 205 as-is with minor updates: modeling the roof vents, cutting off the existing skirting (or whatever) on the under roof of the observation deck, new paint, etc..but one thing stuck in my craw. The Lionel car has a flush front. Since the real 205 is a modified coach, it should have a rounded roof like 203 & 204. I'm using BCW kits for those 2 cars, which are pretty accurate, which leaves me with 2 choices: scrap what I have, buy another BCW kit and mod an observation deck or mod the front end and roof of the Lionel car.

Guess what won?

:D
I love Dremel!

Here's 204 on the bench, pre-numbers.

I should be getting future 203 in the mail in a couple days. My goal is to get 200 (generator car 200, not Splendid Spirit 200), 201, 202, 203, 204, and 205 completely done before summer's over before I have to take a break to start replacing the train coffer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've cleaned up the front of 205. I took about 3/16" off the sides and the bottom to accommodate the new, rounded front end.

This is what it will look like with the correct front. I'm happy I decided to do the switch (for accuracy sake), but I really wish I did it before paint. It's a pain to try and not ruin anything.

So here's the bench now: New front getting primed, 204 getting windows, and 203 getting built. Not looking forward to the roof mod, so I'm blowing it off as long as possible :laugh:

Thanks for looking.

·
16,666 Posts
JD,

Sorry if you've already answered this, but how are you creating the star silhouettes on the side? I see that you're painting the red and blue stripes, but how do you create the star "blanks" in the process? Are those taped off during the paint?

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
472 Posts
reference material for the AFT

Very nice work JDman. What are you using as references, other than your grandfathers pictures? Happy Fathers Day, and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi John
I wish I was using my own pics! We've only uncovered 3 so far. I do believe he had to have taken more, but they haven't turned up yet. Even still, I doubt there are pictures of all 20-some cars and they would only be from the engineers right. They are more inspiration than reference.

To get more info, I go to http://www.freedomtrain.org/american-freedom-train-home.htm (They were cool enough to give me an "official" spot in "Galleries" to document my project, but it's a little behind from this site). I also belong to the Freedom Train Yahoo Group. Between the 2 sites, I have everything I need, and a forum to ask the experts what I don't know.

And TJ, the stars/stripes are decals. I know I've got the red and blue paint jars there, but they were primarily for the forklift and Splendid Spirit..and touch up work or course.

Anyway, keep the comments and questions coming. And all the Father's out there, have a great day!
Jeff

·
Registered
472 Posts
thanks for inspiring a new project

Thanks Jeff. I was born in Rochester, but we moved out to the country in the late 60s. In 1975, I was on the left coast working on my first full year in the Navy. I have the bachmann version of the AFT engine, but as yet none of the other cars to go with it. You make it look easy enough even I could do it! LOL. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts