Model Train Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hi Fellow Modelers

My "other" project taking up what little money I have: The "General" and her W&A train from the Great Locomotive Chase

Back to the Man-Cave. 205 needs curtains!
Where did you get those stunning boxcars and those nice old time passenger cars? I am looking to get cars from that kind of time period and was wondering if you just bought those and weathered them or if they were custom built. Also what engine are you using that has that nice tender. Looks like a nice engine to own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

The box cars are kits from Bill's Train Shop. I've built, painted and weathered them myself. They still need a couple things of course: the trucks need to be built and painted, I still need to glue the ladders on the last 2, bumpers etc...You want something Civil War era, that's the place.

The engine is just a Tyco/Mantua General

Obviously the fake wood has been removed from the tender and replaced with twigs from my back yard. It was stripped down, repainted, and decaled. The engine is under construction and will have a light and hopefully smoke. I have a parted out one behind it, you can barely see it in the photo, but that one has the spoked wheels and not the solid ones. It will be repainted to match this O scale beauty from SMR. It won't be as detailed, but the colors will match (again hopefully)

The passenger cars are Con-Cor (v&T I think). The plastic rails have been shaved and replaced with metal ones. Plastic truck replaced with metal. They've been repainted the correct Straw Yellow and Vermillion. Decals from Microscale. I wish I could tell you what roofs they were. I bought a part lot and hoped they would work. They did. They also have the link and pin couplers.

Anyway,hope that helps. Thanks for the compliments. It was the Disney movie that got me back into trains. The problem is now I'm so focused on the AFT and the fact I have no layout to run it on, the W&A may have to go once it's done. Not sure yet, but it's been on the backburner for a few months.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jeff, Your work is super and if you don't mind when you have time maybe you can email the photos as you go of each car and the train to me at one of the two addresses listed here. ([email protected] or [email protected]) I was a passenger as a child on the American Freedom Train and the locomotive and this train brings back memories. I have a G scale model of the MTH train but the cars are all coaches and are incorrect. At least the locomotive and sound are correct though. If you ever sell this set for some reason look me up first and we will add it to our HO set up for our kids program as a history lesson. It will also never be sold again and end up in a museum with our programs other items, never to be resold, under contract for families to enjoy for good should anything happen to us. I am glad someone has taken an interst in this train as it is the most important train in U.S. history. Thanks and keep up the good work and incidently I know what kind of work is involved as I have 400 hrs. in our new HO layout.
Sincerely, Kenneth Mathews c/o Imagination Station Kids on Track Model Railroad and Safety Program

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. As we get deeper into fall, I'm getting excited to start work on this again as the childrens fall commitments start to end. I'm also gathering some stuff to start a CSX line (that's who runs through town).

Ken, the train has ALOT of work to go. As I moved things around in my man-cave, I have to see what car(s) if any are complete to my satisfaction. I can't ever see selling it, but I would very much like to have it used as an educational thing if anybody around here would work with me. But like I said, that's a little far off, so until then please keep checking in for progress. The compliments are inspiring.

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All (Again). Been a few years. Figured I'd just as well keep going in here rather than starting new. While the project most certainly got put on the backburner (Life) and borderline ended...circumstances now favor getting cracking on it a second time. Unfortunately, most of what had been pictured back in the day has been purged, but with all the time passed, I have done some slightly better research and have become a slightly better modeller.

I'm hoping to execute the same crazy vision I had back in what...2011 (geesh), but actually do it this time. Hopefully you'll enjoy it. This is a fantastic train. The fact there isn't a licensed HO version of the whole thing is ridiculous. So lets pretend the first 2 pages don't exist, which won't be hard, and welcome to my new version of the 1975 V1 Freedom Train as seen displayed in Rochester in early May.

My first complete car this time was once again 201. As mentioned before, I don't think there's a thing I needed to modify as the Walthers car is very true to prototype. Pretty easy. I did use a different base car this time. The original 4-4-2 was a Southern Pacific, so I bought an SP model to convert as opposed to the NYC one I used last time:

The following is an actual image from Rochester, Genesee Valley Regional Market:

Car 1 of 26...Done!

I'm guessing most folks on here are more skilled and patient than I am, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can in case any new people are wondering about parts or techniques. Thanks for looking. Off to work on 202,

21 - 27 of 27 Posts