Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I don't have any Lionchief but club member had me look at his Lionchief RS3s. He had three identical ones he could triple head and run off a single controller. On his engine the spur gears and associated bearing posts were made of cheap diecast with much too much play.
The gears would bind. I got one going at a show by using some foil to enlarge the posts.
AFAIK Lionel doesn't sell the truck parts. You have to buy a complete truck.
After seeing that and reading all the posts of problems with these I have avoided them.

OTOH I recently picked up a Lionel Mikado Jr from the early 2000s. I believe this engine is now sold as the Lionchief Mikado. Assuming they haven't cheapened anything up this is a solid well made engine.

Pete

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
So those units were not worthy to become simple shelf queens? Did you really trash them? :eek:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Were these F3's Lionchiefs? Either way, what were the model numbers so that we can stay away from them. Norton, the Lionelchief RS3 is garbage.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mr. Willis says, "Scrap 'em!!" 😆 😆 😆 Life's too short!
So Spence has the solution, fill those empty spaces with new engines!! (y)

·
Registered
169 Posts
With what you had invested in those and the problems you had with them, don't apologize for the rant. You had a big one coming. You probably still have some left over.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
What John says. The shells could have used to upgrade old beaters, maybe even Post War F3s and the electronics used to upgrade conventional engines like Williams.

Pete

·
Registered
694 Posts
Of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!' 😅

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So those units were not worthy to become simple shelf queens? Did you really trash them? :eek:
Well, as shelf queens they did not shine literally. I have eight MTH plated F units on the shelf that made them seem ugly and dull.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well now you have to start filling up those empty spots on the shelves with some new engines. (y)
We think alike Spence. Look at that empty shelf space on my Warbonnet Wall. It's just there, screaming at me to fill it up.
Slide6.jpg

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
But but Lee, all those parts!
Some years ago when I was re-building die-cast cars along with a friend of mine, he had gone to a big car show and came back telling me about this guy who was selling a big batch of die-cast for five bucks apiece. They had been displayed and weren't in the best of condition. Since a set of wheels would be eighteen bucks a pack I asked him how many he brought back for parts. He just shook his head, 'Didn't even cross my mind!' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
518 Posts
🌈 It's called cutting your losses.. But if not too late, maybe you could give them to a children's hospital.. Take out the mechanisms so they could roll them on the tracks..If no tracks in garbage, maybe buy a few sections for them...

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I remember you running them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can understand your frustration, Lee. After the horrible experience I had with an MTH GP38 and their inability to repair it, it went on the shelf and has remained there for several years. "It ain't no fun if the trains don't run."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts