Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I posted here a couple years ago about a pink train that my dad and his brother got as kids. I have a lot of good memories playing (hard) with it in the 80's. It was a while coming to us, but we got it today. It likely hasn't been turned on it 25-30 years and it was slow to start, but now it's flying. It even started smoking from pellet residue that must be left over from the 50's or 60's as I know my grandparents didn't have any. My son loves it, which is awesome as the three generations got to play with it. I am really looking forward to cleaning it up. Any idea how hard it would be to replace the front part as the cow catcher is missing? The Caboose lights up still, but the hook is missing on it so I'll need to fix that too. The freight cars only have doors on one side as well.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't help with parts or anything, but I did want to say I think it is pretty cool to see 3 or 4 generations getting enjoyment out of the same train.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my grandfather bought it for his sons...we figure it was on sale :D Thanks for the list!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Yeah, my grandfather bought it for his sons...we figure it was on sale :D Thanks for the list!
Yup...at a deep discount. It was so unsuccessful that dealers would sometimes paint them. An original one in good condition fetched good coin for awhile, though I haven't tracked prices lately....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup...at a deep discount. It was so unsuccessful that dealers would sometimes paint them. An original one in good condition fetched good coin for awhile, though I haven't tracked prices lately....
Yeah, this one is not in good physical condition and monetary value doesn't matter much.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,338 Posts
Looks well played with too. :)
First thing I would do is service/clean the motor and Locomotive's running gear.

·
Registered
704 Posts
First thing I would do is service/clean the motor and Locomotive's running gear.

Second thing I would do is paint it.

Then after reading the responses. NO! If I painted it at all it would still be pink.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Yeah, this one is not in good physical condition and monetary value doesn't matter much.
I always respect the "as played with" patina...the only thing I'd do with those if they were mine is clean them, repair as needed and lube them...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice :) LoL, yeah, I don't think I'll repaint it, just leave it as is for that. I do plan to repair it and clean it up, I bought the missing repro parts for the caboose and the cow catcher today. I'll update here if they fit on the original. I got the repros of the two freight cars as well and will try to replace the doors on the other side of them. The original transformer seems to be out of commission too, but the new one is better anyways. My son is enjoying it as I type and my dad just showed up again too! :)

Only thing I need to really figure out is how to replace the coupler on the caboose.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
That was quick. Makes my post somewhat moot.

What he said. Over time the gear grease dries and becomes hard. That's why it ran sluggish putting a hurt on the motor windings and brushes. Now that the motor dislodged the dried grease it's running without lubrication. Other members can guide you through motor maintenance. As for the broken parts ...

The engine is a classic Lionel 2037 engine, albeit painted pink for inclusion in the "Girls Set". The first attached PDF is the Lionel service manual for that engine (and tender) with diagrams and part numbers. Most are readily available to replace bent side rods, a missing bell, motor brushes, etc. ... and the steam chest. The missing front is part of one solid piece as seen in the second pic. It is readily available at ttender.com, albeit in black. Not a problem If you repaint it. A pink replacement may not be available.

The 2nd attached PDF is the service manual for the 6427 tender with diagrams and parts numbers. The damaged part is available at ttender.com. Though you must look at the manual's diagram to discern which end of the caboose as the coupler is different front to back: part number 480-25 or 481-10(T).

Steam Chest.png Chest.png Tender.png

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Everyone has their favorites but just about any grease will work. Given you just have just one engine, maybe something in the garage. In a pinch, motor oil, Anyway, a good cleaning wiould remove the motor from the shell. The secret to that is part 2026-14 in my diagram. You'll see it's ends on either side of the shell back by the rear drive wheels. One end is splined. You can knock it out from the other end will a small nail. From, there, the motor mounting screw (see the pfd's full diagram) and the shell is off (for repainting :) ).

Oil all the drive axle bushings on both side of the motor. Oil the armature spindle on both sides. And if all you have is oil, oil the gears. The leading and trailing wheels / axles as well. You could also service the armature face. Usually a pencil eraser will clean it up nicely. And clean the drive wheel faces and center rollers. Paper towels and Q-tips are good. A good cleaning solution is naphtha. A small amount of that, in a convenient applicator bottle can be had like this:
Fluid.png

If you decide to paint take the shell and another pink car to the HW store and match the spray can color caps ...

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Jeff Kane at the Train Tender is a great source for parts. You can call or email him as he is very responsive and if you decide to get the black pilot he may know of some paint that would be a good match.

Pete

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nice piece of family history you have there Daraxc. Repaint or not. While it might be tempting to repaint it, I wouldn't simply because it has such family history. As shaygetz said, it has played with patina.

Kenny

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great memories with that train. You could keep it together for sentimental sake, or if you are looking to expand your empire, I'd look at selling the two boxcars as they have the most value. From what I can see they are in decent shape. You could probably get a couple hundred dollars each, then use that to buy other items you're interested in. Just wanted to let you know most of the value is in those two boxcars, though all the cars have decent value.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting everything in and starting. I am not going to paint it for sure. I collect WW2 stuff and altering old things is a big no no. I'll treat this the same, I never noticed it was worn as a child. Lionel had the pilot in pink, if it fits, I'll be good there, plan to take off the original one and put it away. I may try and restore the original transformer too. I think something is just loose as the voltmeter reads a charge if I push on it, it certainly worked when I was a kid and it was packed up.

Thanks for the advice on the cars, I don't plan to sell any of it, if we want more we'll just buy it and keep what we have :D The tender & all the cars are in a lot better shape than the engine. My uncles and I were all mean to that engine over the decades.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Thanks so much :) I will go through all this with pleasure. Is there a specific grease I should use?
You can’t go wrong with products made specifically for model trains. I always recommend using either Labelle or Excelle lubricants. Labelle 106 or XL NLGI1 for the gears. Labelle 107 or XL Heavy for axle bearings, running gear and pickup roller bearings.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I am surprised Lionel has the pilot and North Lima even has the body shell though pretty pricey. If you can hold off until November you could get parts from Lionel at half price. Then again 2037s go for peanuts on ebay. You can find complete engines in black on ebay for less than what Lionel wants for the pilot.

Pete

1 - 20 of 29 Posts