Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents here is my issue,

I purchased a brand new athearn Conrail switcher and popped in a DH163AT. As always I program and test the engine and decoder without the shell in the event I need to do any more maintenance. During the test run I went to operate the light and a nice little burn mark appeared on the DH163. (The light didn't come on). As the engine ran with no issues I saw no reason to replace the decoder at current time.

A week later I went to turn on the track and the engine started, "hopping" back and forth. I proceeded to remove the card and slapped it into my test engine, which proceeded to do the same thing.

bottom line is , the decoder did I mess it up or is it a MFR defect?

--Cid

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you isolate the engine and decoder. Sounds like it could have shorted out the decoder.
Yes I did. I have a kit and a checklist I follow for each engine I purchase, I am really confused as this is the first time this has happened to me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Could be a faulty decoder. My guess if you followed all of teh instructions correctly. They are not above reproach.

I have fried a couple for no apparent reason. One of the reasons I use plugs for the decoder. Add to that fact, I don't have all of the "bulk" when soldering them into place. They are a bit more expensive when in this configuration, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts