1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geeps
True "General Purpose" utility.

Don't get me wrong.
I love pulling long freight drags at the club with a consist of 3 or 4 SD's.
Or a 25-car mail train... "The Camel", pulled by E7's and PA/B's.
But on my modest home-layout I have to be realistic. So F7's & Geeps are the main composition of my home roster.

I've always liked F-units, mainly because my first trainset featured them.
It wasn't until the 1960's, when brass was the rage, that I discovered cool models of SD's and Geeps.

My affection for GP's (and RS11's) began with those I saw running on New Haven rails as a kid.
I quickly learned that they were truly "General Purpose" units, being used for multiple duties... road-muscle, switchers, helpers, and for both freight hauls and passenger commuter service.

Swiss Army knife.
They're at home and comfy on open rails, but will accommodate minimum radius curves for duty on industrial spurs, freight-yards, and MW shuttles. The majority of my switching operations are performed by Geeps and RS11's, but they generally have enough power to handle any chore the average model railroad might present.

To be honest, none of my Geeps are 'stump pullers', and none will pull what my (more contemporary) BLI SW1500 will handle.
That beast will cut 25 cars out of a drag at the club with no problem.
But for modeling on my home layout, the Geeps get the call.

The Atlas and Genesis versions are the best runners I have... hands down.
The Bachmann's are okay, but severely underpowered (adding weight helps a little) and most needed replacement decoders.
I'm not aware of many other manufacturers. I know Rapido has come out with an RS11.

20190128_182004~3.jpg
20190128_174945~2.jpg

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Proto 2000 had a ton of GP7's and GP9's....true, most had the cracked gear issue, but once fixed, they were, and are, great runners.....I have 20 Proto 2000 Geeps, and all are smooth and strong runners....the 2 Athearn Genisis I have are also very good....

·
Registered
386 Posts
My only Geep is an old Yugoslavian AHM GP18 I got from a yard sale. It was trashed so I rebuilt it as B&O 6599. The dynamic brake housing was scratchbuilt. Not rivet-counter quality but good enough for me. I haven't run it to failure yet but the most it has pulled so far is 16 cars.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
SD45T-2 in SP paint. This is an Athearn RtR model but remotored, weathered and sound decoder added.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Yeah, that's right. It's not a Geep, but it's still my favorite diesel.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the SP, Geeps and RS11's were often MU'd.
Atlas Gold RS11's are extremely good runners.
20190128_180215~2.jpg

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
GP's are my favorite North American Diesel locomotives. I first saw them working with Illinois Central as a small boy. They still had the green diamond under the window back then with 100+ unit coal trains among others.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Um... not very... how should I say... appropriate.
In fact, just plain stupid.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
May I suggest that you lighten up just a bit. There is plenty enough anger, hatred and disagreement in today’s world. If you can’t take a bit of humor once in the while then I really feel sorry for you.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Um... Okay, mom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I loved the S P and big trains pulled by 5 SD-9s going over the mountains to Bakersfield, CA. We hitched rides on them. Once we (3 of us) rode to Bakersfield on the deck (top) but the large tunnel just north of Los Angeles just about scarred us away. We were near middle of the train and they were on an uphill grade going through the mile long tunnel at a walking speed. We put our shirts over our mouths in order to breathe. Five SD 9s make a lot of exhaust but there was plenty of room on top if you lay flat on the metal catwalk. The rest of the tunnels on the trip were shorter and not a problem. We often saw the smaller groups pulled by GP 9s headed to Santa Barbara. Love them both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I rode north with Roberts one time and he claimed he had been on the Bum for 30 years. This time three of us boys we went into Taylor Yard and got into an empty box car. We met Roberts there. When the train pulled forward and took up the slack Roberts acted like it was his first ride and danced in the open door. He like most hobos carried Prince Albert and rolled his own cigarettes. When we reached a siding north of LA we stopped on a siding to allow another train to pass. Roberts jumped out and took off at a run into a nearby orange grove. He came back minutes later with his sweat shirt full of nave oranges and passed them out. He gave us hobo school as we rode.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I rode north with Roberts one time and he claimed he had been on the Bum for 30 years. This time three of us boys we went into Taylor Yard and got into an empty box car. We met Roberts there. When the train pulled forward and took up the slack Roberts acted like it was his first ride and danced in the open door. He like most hobos carried Prince Albert and rolled his own cigarettes. When we reached a siding north of LA we stopped on a siding to allow another train to pass. Roberts jumped out and took off at a run into a nearby orange grove. He came back minutes later with his sweat shirt full of nave oranges and passed them out. He gave us hobo school as we rode.
I take it Roberts is some sort of famous hobo?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts