Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
That is a great looking engine. I especially like the “skyline” boiler top. It really adds to the massiveness of the engine...

Tom

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I'm not criticizing you, Lee, but I could never spend $2000 on a shelf decoration. It is a pretty one, though!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I want a Lionel AC-9, the TMCC version especially. That one has the 9434 Pittman motor, which is a bit more robust than the Legacy version's motor. The TMCC version has 32 speed steps and 2 chuffs a revolution, but that can be corrected easily. I have 2 problems with buying a TMCC AC-9. The first is they are still around $800 in most cases, which is more than I like to spend on any one locomotive. Secondly the turntable on my layout is 30". An AC-9 won't fit on it. So kinda a bummer there.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The overall wheelbase of the AC9 engine and tender is 113' so it should fit on a 120' turntable with overhang.
The turntable at the Dunsmuir engine facility was only 110'. When the big articulateds came along they built a two stall engine house next to the roundhouse and used the turntable as part of the siding. Engines would cross the turntable onto a track that led to the engine house without having to be turned.

This page has a picture showing the relationship of the turntable to the roundhouse and articulated shed.

http://users.snowcrest.net/photobob/idun591.html

Pete

·
Registered
124 Posts
The overall wheelbase of the AC9 engine and tender is 113' so it should fit on a 120' turntable with overhang.
The turntable at the Dunsmuir engine facility was only 110'. When the big articulateds came along they built a two stall engine house next to the roundhouse and used the turntable as part of the siding. Engines would cross the turntable onto a track that led to the engine house without having to be turned.

This page has a picture showing the relationship of the turntable to the roundhouse and articulated shed.

http://users.snowcrest.net/photobob/idun591.html

Pete
Well that's good to know. So if I find one in my price range at least it'll fit on my 30 inch turntable, with some overhang at each end.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have both the Lionel Legacy Cab Forward and Legacy AC-9. They both have great detail and run great. I modified both of them by putting the front and rear engines out of sync. I didn't like it that Lionel built them in sync.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts