Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Lee, There was a discussion on OGR recently regarding the tender derailing. I don't think the flanged center wheelsets are the problem but rather the thrust bearings one the first and last axles don't allow enough sideplay. I have a couple of MTH PT tenders from the early and mid 2000s and the thrust bearings actually fit into the front and rear wheels while the later ones stick out more limiting sideplay.
i do have a couple of late issue PT tenders I will have to check but my fix would be to reduce the amount these washers extend away from their respective wheels.
The frame holding these wheels come off with just two screws in the center after unplugging the coupler wire inside the tender. The sideframes stay with the main body. Pull off one wheel and you would have access to both bearings.

As for these engines I have 4. The latest MTH versions have by far the best paint as does most all of MTH latest releases. They include an MTH engine with PT tender from around 2005, a recent MTH engine with standard tender, 3rd Rail and Williams Masterpiece. The last one is a copy of Lionels Smithsonian Dreyfuss differing on motor type and drive electronics.

By far the best cars for your engine are the MTH 20th Century cars made the same year your engine was released. Perfect paint match and very well detailed. Virtually no Dreyfuss matches anyone else's in paint and some don't even match the cars they came with. MTH in particular.

Here are my 2005 MTH model top and 3rd Rail with its matching cars below.

MTH_Dreyfuss.jpg

3rd_Dreyfuss.jpg

Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Excellent choice for this week's featured locomotive. Always thought the design was more of "out of this world" and probably gave inspiration for the Flash Gordon spaceship. See any similarities?

View attachment 486042

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nice review LEE. I have the MTH Premiere Dreyfuss 20-3045 that I just upgraded to PS3 good runner and sounds good too. I just put my Dreyfuss back on the shelf. Ran it for about a week but new engine came in and you know how that goes.

C

·
0 Posts
This is my Railking Dreyfuss Hudson pulling a K-Line reefer and Williams passenger cars. It's not as big as the Premier model but looks good (IMHO), runs great and easily negotiates my curves.

20180725_133401.jpg

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Lee, Here is a pic taken from the OGR thread that shows the thrust bearing not flush with the wheel. On the earlier tenders the narrower portion of the bearing fits into the wheel which must be counterbored to accept it. It appears on the later tenders they didn't use these counterbored wheels but rather the plain ones used on the center wheelsets.
Many assumed this was an axle bushing that wasn't pressed home but in fact all axles have bushings pressed into the frame and what is visible on the pic is actually a thrust bearing.
I would cut off the narrower portion the bearing starting with the front axle. They are there to keep the tender from moving very much sideways when going down straight track.

Pete

·
16,666 Posts
I agree, Lee ... one of the most gorgeous, iconic streamliners!

Here's a website with a nice history of streamliners ...

http://www.jitterbuzz.com/stream.html

Also (nitpicking, just a bit) ... you might correct to "Drefuss" with two s's, after Henry Drefuss, the noted industrial designer, of course!

Cheers,

TJ

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hudsons are my favorite steamer--at 8, I have more of them in my collection than any other loco, including this MTH PS2 Dreyfuss from around 2001. While my preference is for non-shrouded locos, the Dreyfuss runs a close second.

20CL.jpg

John

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just picked up this MTH Premier Dreyfess a couple days ago, it had it's first good run at the club last night.

View attachment 486052
John, that is the same road number model as mine but a different tender. Looks to be a bit shorter. Any problems with it?

-------------------

BTW - here I photoshopped a more complete shroud. Always wondered why they did not do this . . .
With full shroud.jpg

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Simple Lee, maintenance. Having the shroud over more of the running gear makes it harder to do maintenance on the locomotive. A common complaint for all the streamliners was a maintenance issue.
Which is why shortly after WWII when the diesels took over the name trains the shrouding came off.

Pete

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Lee, I checked out my theory of why the PT tenders are derailing. It appears the problem is in fact too little sideplay in the front and read wheelsets on the ten wheel truck. I pulled the truck off (2 screws in the center) and the wire at the front of the truck. That allowed enough space to pull a wheel off with my flywheel puller and thin the bushings by about .035" on each side. Now it goes through 042 with some binding but not derailing. I think it would do 054 no problem now. I left the rear axle alone.
These newer 2/3 rail MTH tenders are in fact different than the older 3 rail ones. The older ones do have more sideplay and are less problematic.

Pete

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Lee, is it possible (though not prototypical) to turn that centipede tender into a conventional two truck tender?

You spoke of trying to balance the load on the tender to keep it from derailing.

I discovered a very similar issue when adding a newly aquired 1st Class ÖBB coach for my mountain line branch.

Couplers on European cars are mounted on a spring loaded drawbar attached to the chassis that pivots and also moves forward and back as it pivots. After exiting a curve the coupler drawbar swings back to center and also moves a bit rearward from the spring trying to retract.

The extra weight of this new coach was not allowing that to happen on a 4+% grade and the drawbar would stay forward and to the inside of the curve it just exited and at that point it would derail the car and the car it was coupled to. I put it behind the locomotive to see if the condition improved and it only derailed the car.

I ended up having to remove two smaller Era III coaches from the end of the train to lighten the load on the grade and now it behaves normally. The two Era III coaches were consisted to another intercity train as private coaches being pulled by DB.

T

·
0 Posts
Lee,
Where does the Lionel "Smithsonian" Dreyfus Hudson fit in with this model? It's seems like a long time since Lionel has produced a modern bells and whistles version of this loco. I thought it would be a popular Vision Line offering. The MTH version is very nice. This is one of the things missing from my layout.

Emile

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The Smithsonian Dreyfuss was a full on brass model that Lionel had built by Fine Art models. I doubt they would do this again. Lionel did a Century Club II die cast Dreyfuss in mid 2000s. If they did another it would likely be based on this engine.

Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts