Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Those are nice looking locos. I have an Alco PA1 AA pair so I know that photos don’t do the plated finish justice. I also have an MTH SD40 (RBMN). I like the looks, but I couldn’t agree more about the sound. Due to the annoying blower whine, it doesn’t get much run time.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Those are nice looking locos. I have an Alco PA1 AA pair so I know that photos don’t do the plated finish justice. I also have an MTH SD40 (RBMN). I like the looks, but I couldn’t agree more about the sound. Due to the annoying blower whine, it doesn’t get much run time.
Is that whine electronic sound or the actual fan motors?

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
It's turbo/super charger whine. I have a few MTH locos (SD40, SD35, F7) that have way too much and it can get very annoying. I think the sound files are from actual locos and at least part of the problem is that the small speakers tend to do a better job with the high frequency blower sound than they do with the low frequency diesel rumble..

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nice looking engines. The detail really stands out with the plated finish.

Are they both powered?

Tom

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It's turbo/super charger whine. I have a few MTH locos (SD40, SD35, F7) that have way too much and it can get very annoying. I think the sound files are from actual locos and at least part of the problem is that the small speakers tend to do a better job with the high frequency blower sound than they do with the low frequency diesel rumble..
On Lionel Legacy engines you can turn down the prime mover sound in relation to the rest of the sound effects. I don't know if this feature is available with MTH.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Those look gorgeous Lee. I have a set of the MTH Premier plated Santa Fe F units and finish is awesome looking. The latest edition of Trains magazine had a good article on the SD40-2 and it's history.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts