Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
This works because you are using an MTH engine with PS2 or 3 in conventional. They run with cruise control even in conventional. It would not be so simple with any other engine.
LC+ engines have cruise as well. All you really need to do is start the MTH engine and increase the voltage to a satisfactory speed. Then use your LC handheld to match that speed.

Pete

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This works because you are using an MTH engine with PS2 or 3 in conventional. They run with cruise control even in conventional. It would not be so simple with any other engine.
LC+ engines have cruise as well. All you really need to do is start the MTH engine and increase the voltage to a satisfactory speed. Then use your LC handheld to match that speed.

Pete
Yes, and Legacy engines are the same way. But it works if you keep at least a ten foot distance between enignes even with something that does not have cruise or with its cruise turned off: then, one might gain on another if the other is going up a hill, etc., but over the full loop they even out again. Makes dtermining what is "exactly the right speed" for the LC+ alot more difficult though.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
A good tutorial for conventional runners Lee.

Even when using DCS, you have to keep an eye on them. You can set the speed the same on two or more engines or set one a bit higher/lower, but they don’t run at the exact same speed so you need to use the boost/brake toggle on occasion. If you just leave them to their own devises, they will run nose to tail eventually.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Two DCS engines will run at different speeds in conventional but they will be close to a constant speed. You can run one DCS engine on a track along with many other engines that have cruise control. Since Lee doesn't use Legacy/TMCC or DCS contollers he is limited to other LC+ engines which do have cruise and can be controlled separately.
Our modular club does not use DCS as our layouts are diiferent for every show and optimizing DCS for every layout would be too time consuming but club members can bring PS2 and PS3 engines, run than at around 14-16 volts which is not too fast on our big layouts and other members can run their TMCC or Legacy trains on the same track. They just have to pay attention.

Pete

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I ran only conventional before LC+ for the same reason. I had an early Legacy system. All the "programming" and control got in the way of running trains. And because the cruise and sound and all worked in conventional it was some much simpler.

I love LC+ because of its simplicity. Note all the equipment and connecting and programming and all

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disagree, based on my experience. It is not difficult, but it is complicated. Good technology should be simple. Legacy didn't strike me as that. LC+ did. In the mean time, when I stopped using Legacy and went back to just to conventional over ten years ago, my fun and fun time with my trains increased immensely. I just never looked back.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are we talking about lionchief here? I run them with conventional only because they are both junkie and don't care if they all breakdown. Its a kids toy. Those $200-$300 LC's are only worth about $75. I want the LEGACY LIONEL VISION LINE UNION PACIFIC BIG BOY ENGINE #4014. Its a cool $4k so I need another stimulus check.

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lionchief is what I abbreviate as LC, and yes, we could be talking about those - what I outlined will work with them, too. But I agree - my experiece bears out yours. Lionchief, without the Plus, are entry-grade locos made for lowest-possible-price and thus "junkie." I have none now - tried a few in the past and, like you
said:
Lionchief Plus is actually a grade of MUCH better product, with a finer control of speed, and much better quality locos: well made, robust and durable, with good motors, and good detail - basically equivalent in quality and detail to the better MTH Railking Imperial locos in my opinion. They cost in the $400 range so, in my opinion, you get what you pay for, and it is worth it. A few LC+ locos, like the Camelback and A5 are scale size, too. Really nice locos. Also note that some Legacy Locos like the Legacy E6 and Lionmaster LC+ "2.0" Big Boy run in conventional, Legacy, or LC+.

If you want a Big Boy you really should look at the Lionmaster Big Boy. It is big if not quite scale size, but a wonderful, quality two motor steamer with a lot of detail. Its $1,100, and yes it's smaller than scale, but them its about half what you'd have to pay at least for a Vision Big Boy, and it does not stick its nose out or cirves nearly as ridiculously.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Lee. The PLUS means it can run conventional too, right. Doesn't mean you will get a heavy duty dual motor loco. I like my newer MTH stuff but the slightest thing like a dead battery wipes it out. I do like LC Bluetooth control so maybe the PLUS is for me. They just came out with some F3's in Plus for around $600. When they come down to $350 I might consider it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts