Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Admin
44,016 Posts
Lee, it's almost tempting to buy one of those, you make it sound so good! :D Since I already have a pair of them, the Lionel Vision Line, and the MTH Premier, I think my Big Boy roster is full. However, I did see the LM Big Boy, and it's a great looking locomotive. The nice feature is it run in almost any environment, conventional, BlueTooth, or TMCC command.

BTW, you duplicated some pictures, I edited them out of the OP.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Interesting review Lee. 7,500 operating hours is a lot of locomotion. It must not have collected much dust on the layout.

Bill

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seayakbill, I ran it probalby three hours a day nearly every day, for years. Ireplaced traction tires and did minor repairs on it twice, and had it fixed three times, once going back to Jon Z when he was with Lionel out on the west coast, for him to look at something and repair it. It was a great loco that gave good service. I hope this does as well.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
"Pivot points"
An education in geometry.

I presume the real loco's never encountered curves where the overhang was an issue. Is there a reason why the real deals have the pivot point in the center of the loco versus the center of the leading drive unit? I can't imagine why the mfg's would not move the pivot point to reduce overhang as illustrated. Then again, I'm not a prototypical zealot.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I am on the lookout for a scale one, preferably an MTH so I can run it with my other MTH UP engines.
As for the Lionmaster versions I was given the motor from the first edition. It had the smallest gear I have ever seen on a Mabuchi. I can understand why they fail so often. They changed the drive on the later Lionmaster BigBoys though. The next one got a bigger gear and the latest ones are Liondrive. The latter can also wear prematurely so its a good idea to check the lubrication often especially if you run long trains.

Pete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts