Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Most interesting. And it looks space-crafty enough that you could maybe fit it into your rocket train!

I didn't know anyone made vacuum cars!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Neat solution, Lee.

Question: Did you consider buying two HO vac cars and mounting the guts side-by-side or staggered on a suitable flat car to provide the necessary width? You'd have no difficulty fabbing a suitable housing.

I like your solution; just wondering if the HO units would lend themselves to this alternate approach?

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neat solution, Lee.

Question: Did you consider buying two HO vac cars and mounting the guts side-by-side or staggered on a suitable flat car to provide the necessary width? You'd have no difficulty fabbing a suitable housing.

I like your solution; just wondering if the HO units would lend themselves to this alternate approach?
Sort of. I bought one and tested it and considered that with another it might do, but it would have cost more than the one vacuum I bought and still had only about half the vacuum power.

In time i plan to convert the HO vacuum to a 'Streets sweeper type vehicle of some sort. On my project list but not next up.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
that looks like a pretty good idea .... what [approximately] are the Atlas / Dapol vacumn cars for HO worth ??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ingenious! I use the little N scale Tomix car you mentioned and it works well enough but it sure cost more than your solution!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have three gallon shop vac with 12' of hose, a 4' rigid extension with a found brush. It's currently stored under the in-progress layout build, picking wood chips, saw dust, etc.

I guess that should be its permanent home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts