Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday as well, yes, they're very sharp.

What I did find interesting though is that the unpowered B unit is completely empty. It's just a shell on a frame. I have a Southern Pacific sharknose A-B set in which the B unit has electronics for lights and smoke.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Looking good Lee, you are the King of Black Bonnets.

Only one set of BB's and a few freight cars for me, the LCCA Sacramento Convention Alcos. Not really a fan of that color combination.

Bill

PB170005.JPG

PB170004.JPG

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very nice. You say the GP35 never received the black bonnet paint scheme. Did Santa Fe do anything in that paint scheme or is that strictly fantasy?

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice. You say the GP35 never received the black bonnet paint scheme. Did Santa Fe do anything in that paint scheme or is that strictly fantasy?
AS far as I know it is only a fantasy. I don't think anything was ever in black bonnet.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Strictly fanatasy driven by a Lionel Postwar catalog that had a printing error showing their AT&SF F units in that color combination. I believe K-Line was the first to offer the BB's for their F-7's. Since then numerous locomotives have been released in the BB color scheme.

Bill

·
Admin
43,685 Posts
Lee, in answer about the odd sounds, they've been added to most recent Legacy stuff. They're actual recorded sounds of the locomotive running, they seem to be more noticeable at low speeds. All adding to the realism. :)

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GRJ - Thanks for the info about the sound. I wish you could turn the sounds off. But I can get used to it, I suppose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mine arrived yesterday . . .
What I did find interesting though is that the unpowered B unit is completely empty. It's just a shell on a frame.
Yes, and my first thought on seeing all the empty space inside when I pulled the hatch (that is over the controls on the powered units) off was, "Wow, this would a great place to hide jewels and money that no one would ever think to look in."

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Heads up on these puppies, folks. Initial experience with them in a Legacy environment is showing the engine ID of these GP-35's can't be reprogrammed. Whether the PGM/RUN switch is set to PGM or RUN, these locomotives fire up like they're ready to head out. And when you set the PGM/RUN switch to PGM and "try" to reprogram the engine ID and hit SET -- nothing happens. Normally, the horn will toot. But with these locomotives, the Railsounds is already fired up... which shouldn't be the case.

Very disappointed that Lionel still hasn't solved this problem. How many different locomotives are gonna be saddled with it, before this gets fixed once and for all? :mad:

David

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If the RS is already running in either mode, it sounds like they actually have a TMCC signal issue.
Yes, John. I thought it was odd that the Railsounds fired up as soon as I gave the track 18volts -- even though the PGM/RUN switch was set to PGM. Usually, when in PGM mode, I don't hear any Railsounds until the SET button is pressed after changing the Engine ID -- and then it's just a quick toot of the horn, not an entire ramp up of the diesel engine sounds. :eek: Very odd. But I've been told this is the same symptom displayed by earlier locomotives with the engine ID problem. So apparently here we are again! :eek:

David

·
Admin
43,685 Posts
I confess to not having my hands on any engines with the ID issue. There were some on the shelves at Henning's, but I wasn't looking for any of those, so I didn't bother testing them.

Given the fact that I know of at least three different models that had the same issue, I have to believe a code revision to the basic RCMC base code broke the ID processing. Until they catch and fix them, all of the new stuff will likely have the same problem.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahh, Railsounds is on all the time. That explains the weird shuffling noises I don't like.

Ugh.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't do no stinkin' bluetooth. We're strictly good old fashioned conventional here. Good enough in 1954, still good enough now.

I'll just live with the shuffling sound. At least its unique.

And its so disappointing that the locos weren't perfect after all, but had a flaw I just didn't pick up on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts