Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
An excellent comparison of the BB tank cars and tank cars in general.

I haven’t bought any Menards tank cars and one reason is that I’m not sure what they are. For me, almost all Menards stuff needs a little fiddling to get it to run right on my layout. I consider some Menards stuff (long flat cars) to be very good once fiddled with, some (box cars & hoppers) to be good, and some (short flat cars) to be no good. It looks like the tank cars fall in the middle.

When I saw my first BB F unit, I thought it looked great. Thought about getting one, but never pulled the trigger. Your fleet looks great, but I don’t think I will pull the trigger on Pat’s tankers either.

My favorite car this week also happenes to be a tank car. Also MTH premier, but this one is very shiny with a plated finish like the war bonnets. I only got one at Allentown, but I’m thinking about getting more.

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

·
Admin
44,359 Posts
Great looking consist Lee, I really like the look of unit trains. :)

One other issue with Menards cars is the rolling resistance. I have around 45-50 of the Menards Reading boxcars. I actually NEED dual locomotives to pull them, they have way more rolling resistance than any of the modern stuff with needlepoint axles. Even PW cars don't have the rolling resistance of the Menards cars. However, as you say, you sure can't beat the price, and they do have pretty good looking graphics for a bargain car.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Great looking consist Lee, I really like the look of unit trains. :)

One other issue with Menards cars is the rolling resistance. I have around 45-50 of the Menards Reading boxcars. I actually NEED dual locomotives to pull them, they have way more rolling resistance than any of the modern stuff with needlepoint axles. Even PW cars don't have the rolling resistance of the Menards cars. However, as you say, you sure can't beat the price, and they do have pretty good looking graphics for a bargain car.
Very cool, 45 to 50 Reading Boxcars must be a really impressive freight train on a large layout.

Bill

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I think to most on-lookers, the Menards tankers have the most visual appeal. The extra red paint is more eye-catching in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, I agree about the Menards cars in all respects. I've had to "fiddle" with about one in ten to get something - floppy trucks, really sticky bearings, and recalitant couplers, to behave. And, ultimately, their rolling resistance is quite high, as Seayakbill says.

For those reasons, and that most are not scale, I have stopped buying Menards cars, although I am keeping the 25 14" flatcars and rougly three dozen boxcars I already have.

I prefer to buy Railking Scale and Permier when I can, lionel scale and Legacy when MTH is not an option. tThey quality and scale size are worth it too me.

But I am not down on Menards. I am glad they are in the hobby in such a big way. they give people a very low-cost option when budgets are tight: the time and cost of "fiddling with them, you can view as 'sweat equity" if you will.

·
Admin
44,359 Posts
For those reasons, and that most are not scale, I have stopped buying Menards cars, although I am keeping the 25 14" flatcars and rougly three dozen boxcars I already have.
The 14" flatcars are an exception to the rule with the trucks, they had much better trucks. I'd love to see Menard's upgrade the other cars in their lineup with better trucks, even if it added a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
In financial news, oil futures dropped for the fifth straight day as the Deep Well Willis platform began full scale production. ATSE shares rose on increased demand for transport tankers. And Stagnant Pipeline Co. has revised its profitability forecast downward for its Western infrastructure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts