Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think you should put a saturn v on there. I poked around and there are lots of kits for them. I think you should get an expensive kit. And it should be a large scale item that's several feet long. That would dominate your display & be impressive. I like spending your time and money btw.

(seriously just kidding around. there are some cools nasa models out there!)

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Good timing Lee. I recorded a 2-part PBS show “Race to The Moon” back in July and I’m only just getting around to watching it. Very interesting to see history that I lived through. I distinctly remember the duck and cover as well as watching John Glenn orbit the earth in my grade school classroom with great apprehension and anticipation.

My only rocket is this Bomarc that I copied from you.

By the way. Your smoking NASA tank car contains Liquid Nitrogen. The one pictured below has the other product of an O2N2 plant.

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4694.JPG

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Lee, in the picture of the Gemini with the rocket on two cars, what are the square tires (with hubcaps) in the lower right?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Thanks Lehigh74 for the answer. I don't work in O, so there's a lot I don't know about.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Not many, this is a Menards flat with rocket. Way undersized rocket but a nice flatcar.

Bill

View attachment 522914
Waaay undersized. And I won't even go into the transport of solid fuel stages nor empty NASA missile and rocket liquid fueled stages transported by rail. Especially with no containers or even covers.

Most of those were transported by air from California to Florida for assembly. Some from Utah by Thiokol, Northrop Grummen, AeroJet, and others.

I just can't play into the toy O scale rocket fantasy. Sorry.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts

I guess you never grew up with Lionel Postwar trains in the fifties & early sixties.

Bill

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

I guess you never grew up with Lionel Postwar trains in the fifties & early sixties.

Bill
Well, yes I did. That was my first train around '63. I also lived around a lot of railroad tracks and saw a lot of real trains. One that came through my backyard every day until the mid-70's.

Never had a rocket car on my train though. Just the normal box cars, gondolas, and tank cars.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts